Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Errant-Wandering Sheriff of the New World (SG)  (Read 3147 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Errant-Wandering Sheriff of the New World (SG)
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2020, 04:07:07 pm »

You sit down and eat the delicious table tater, filling yourself with the energy of your homeland's beloved staple food alongside the still novel taste of cheese. While vaguely hoping the table was clean enough to eat off of. You review the information you totally know about the tooth in your head, without double checking with any of the multiple information sources that are nearby due to your high confidence in your own knowledge, then casually remark on the high freedom content of your lovely snack.

「You're not really free until you burn your Eight-Knot. In your case it should taste more like a breath of fresh air before delving back into the hill or something. Come on oh mighty Errant, we've got business to do. My parents where not in the sport of monster-hunting, and I'm not sure what they teach at that fancy medical school but I'm betting my beard it also doesn't involve sniffing down targets.」

With the GM stopping being cheeky, you recognize the tooth as belonging to a SkinCrawler. SkinCrawlers are on the lower end of Skinwalkers. They're angry spirits like those the Beast Folk deal with taking hold of some discarded carcass and causing trouble with it. They're a pretty rare occurrence, Spirits are uncommon on their own and most tribes you learned about make a habit of butchering monster remains in a way that doesn't leave anything it can latch on to. To be more specific the tooth is clearly a Starwolf tooth, but Starwolves are known for their powerful jaws that can break through armor as easily as you are biting through this tater. The only way something as frail as a Red-Lipped leg could possibly break off multiple teeth is if the skull has decayed to the point they where already falling out.

SkinCrawlers are typically made opportunistically, when a roaming spirit comes across the available material. As such it is usually in a significantly physically weaker state, with all the damage from their death and any decay that has set in after. However they are now capable of using spirit abilities like Beastfolk. The most common is casting curses. Usually this is done by locking eyes, but given the state the corpse is likely in it probably had to resort to using the bite. In all likelihood this curse will allow the Spirit to take a new host becoming a higher-tier threat, something resembling an evil Beast-folk that likes killing other folk. That is why even the Red-Lip's knowledge of the local plantlife was unable to defeat this 'disease'. You can stop this curse by killing the SkinCrawler thus banishing its Spirit, which is why your beloved partner is rushing you to do just that.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2020, 04:10:57 pm »

All right, let's get ourselves together and go murder a wolf. Shouldn't be too much work, we've killed dozens of monster wolves. In illusion-based training simulators.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2020, 04:38:07 am »

Lets get out there and kick its ass!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2020, 06:18:02 am »

We should begin asking around the local area if anyone's seen a wolf matching the skinwalker's description.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2020, 10:02:25 am »

I don’t think we know it’s inhabiting a wolf’s bosy, from what I’ve read, Skincrawlers possess hosts

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2020, 08:15:45 pm »

We should begin asking around the local area if anyone's seen a wolf matching the skinwalker's description.

Anyone/place in particular?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2020, 08:20:34 pm »

I vote we let Doctor Bro take point on this as he presumably knows the locals well enough, but we should generally start with the victim's family and neighbours.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2020, 04:47:27 am »

I vote we let Doctor Bro take point on this as he presumably knows the locals well enough, but we should generally start with the victim's family and neighbours.
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2020, 05:33:12 pm »

「Me? Acquainted with the locals? I got more familiar with the inside of the patient's leg than I did with anyone else. I can't even remember his name. I know the place they found 'em in if you need sniff the dried blood or whatever. Na much else.」

Aside from your partner's lack of leads, your first questioning as a full-fledged errant goes smoothly. Nobody has any reason to hide anything when it comes to monsters. The Victim's wife was preparing herbs behind her house while the doctor operated, she gives you a basic description of her neighbors. Her husband was a forager, out gathering certain flowers that only bloom in moonlight. She explains that most civilians stay within the safety of the walls if they can help it. If you're looking for information from outside the walls, you'll have to ask a forager, trader, the sheriff, or someone else who routinely enters the forest as part of their daily routine. She gives you directions to those who worked with her husband, but isn't sure if they are currently in town. You might consider asking who has left for the day at the gate, maybe even setting up there to ask everyone who enters or leaves town.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2020, 12:49:06 pm »

Lets go ask the people at the gate if the forgers have left, and if they haven't lets go find them.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2020, 12:54:39 pm »

Lets go ask the people at the gate if the forgers have left, and if they haven't lets go find them.
*foragers
+1 to this

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2020, 01:27:40 pm »

You mosey over to the gate, your doctor companion sticking close to your heels. The man manning the gate greets you, asking if you're headed out of town. You respond by asking if the foragers have left for the day.

"The day-foragers left at sunrise, one came back after the noon harvest and the rest will trickle in until sunset. At sunset the night-foragers will head out. Our harvests are closely tied to the cycle of the moon and stars. There are many powerful herbs that become impotent if not picked at the correct time, at least locally. You should be able to find the night-foragers sleeping in their homes. Is there any message you want me to pass along when they come back or head out?"

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2020, 02:23:13 pm »

"Under the circumstances, we may have to detain all the incomers for examination. Any one of them could have encountered potentially corruptive spiritual forces, viz., a Starwolf. As for the night foragers, it would be best if they stay in town until we finish dealing with the day foragers, so that we can guard them as a group. Can you point us to the forager who already arrived?"

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2020, 12:03:56 pm »

"Under the circumstances, we may have to detain all the incomers for examination. Any one of them could have encountered potentially corruptive spiritual forces, viz., a Starwolf. As for the night foragers, it would be best if they stay in town until we finish dealing with the day foragers, so that we can guard them as a group. Can you point us to the forager who already arrived?"
+1
Pages: 1 2 [3]