Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Safe way to handle Forgotten Beast Extract? Part 2.  (Read 1032 times)

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Safe way to handle Forgotten Beast Extract? Part 2.
« on: June 07, 2020, 04:40:22 pm »

I have the exact same question as someone asked this post from 2012:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=98535.0

Question: the entrance of my fort to the caverns is filled with dead crundles, all covered in a dangerous forgotten beast extract. (The crundles have frozen blood.) Is there any safe way to clean up the mess, except for magma? In the old post I link to, I see some differing answers: some think that a shower is a safe way to keep your dwarves clean, others say it still isn't safe.

I am starting a new topic because we are many versions later now and some things may have changed, especially tracking of contaminants.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Safe way to handle Forgotten Beast Extract? Part 2.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 06:10:57 pm »

Typically if they have shoes they'll be fine cleaning. I'm not 100% sure about hauling, but if you're worried, gloves will stop anything problematic there too.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 01:34:09 am »

- Cover is essential as protection, but dorf drop their old gear where they stand to go get new shinier stuff with their (private) parts uncovered and unprotected during the trek to the stockpile. Using two layers of clothing should logically reduce the risk of totally exposed skin (i.e. socks and shoes, etc.).
- Any animals (in particular those infernal cats) that are not locked up can walk through the mess and spread it before dying.
- As far as I understand, a dwarf washer that pulls the contaminants washed off the dorfs away ought to be mostly safe, although it's probably possible to still drag some around on the shoes (and cat paws).

Note that my competence is somewhat lacking, as evidenced by just having given up on a dead civ fortress in an embark with partial evil rain that's lethal (at least sometimes), due to too high an attrition rate because of contact despite keeping away from that area.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 04:39:23 am »

Sounds like a brutal embark, Patrick. Could the problem in your fortress have to do with visitors or merchants bringing in the filth?

Luckily I have been providing my dwarves with double layers of hand/foot protection the whole time. But does that mean the clothing becomes infected too and can spread it further?

Good warning about wandering pets, that can be taken care of.

I'm starting to realize I need waste separation.. Instead of a single all-purpose dump, I need one dumping zone for corpse destruction (surrounded by showers) and a second zone for gathering old clothing, close to the trade depot.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 04:49:46 am by Quarque »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 07:40:45 am »

Sounds like a brutal embark, Patrick. Could the problem in your fortress have to do with visitors or merchants bringing in the filth?

Luckily I have been providing my dwarves with double layers of hand/foot protection the whole time. But does that mean the clothing becomes infected too and can spread it further?

Good warning about wandering pets, that can be taken care of.

I'm starting to realize I need waste separation.. Instead of a single all-purpose dump, I need one dumping zone for corpse destruction (surrounded by showers) and a second zone for gathering old clothing, close to the trade depot.
The embark was indeed more brutal than I'd expected. I've encountered a previous case of a permanent syndrome that effectively resulted in tuberculosis (constant coughing of blood), but that was not lethal, just painting everything in red. In this case "blisters all over the body" didn't sound that bad, but for some reason it resulted in widespread small body part destruction (floating ribs mangled beyond recognition, eyelids gone, etc.).
It probably wasn't visitors (one of the 7 total died of if), nor the merchants, unless there's some weird delay in the taking effect. One died gathering fruit in a tree at the other side of the embark, one halfway down to the magma facilities, another one inside, with only one actually croaking somewhat near the area. All of them had their original set of clothes (hadn't been there long enough for them to get any visible wear).