Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shooting at Flying Mounts  (Read 626 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Shooting at Flying Mounts
« on: June 13, 2020, 01:26:31 pm »

This is halfway between a bug and a suggestion. I've got two elf civilizations at war with me, and in sieges the leaders always ride giant birds. They aren't particularly dangerous. They mostly just buzz around with the flyer AI and cause job cancellation unless I've burrowed my civilians. My marksdwarves spray bolts into the air and eventually bring them down. It's a fun battle to imagine.

My complaint is that my marksdwarves always hit the rider and miss the mount. They won't start injuring the mount until the rider dies.
1) This makes no sense in terms of realism. If an elf is overhead riding a cardinal that's fifty times larger than an eagle, then it should be nearly impossible to shoot the elf and miss the bird.
2) Even if my marksdwarves could shoot the rider, I don't want them to. The giant bird is far more of a nuisance and threat than its rider. I want the giant birds injured and on the ground ASAP to face my melee dwarves. It takes a lot of time and bolts to kill the rider first when the mount is zooming around 10z levels overhead.

This is probably also true of non-flying mounts. The chance of hitting the rider vs mount should probably be based on the ratio of their body sizes. But for flying mounts above the z-level of the shooter, the mount should almost always get hit first.