Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are poles required for seasons?  (Read 1499 times)

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
Are poles required for seasons?
« on: May 22, 2020, 12:16:31 am »

I always disable the poles in worldgen in Dwarf Fortress, and I've realized that I've never seen snow or ice in fortress mode except on glaciers. Even in "cold" biomes, all I get is rain all year long. The only hint of any kind of seasonality is the fruit trees.

In Adventure Mode, it snows at night but the snow always disappears at dawn. Why don't I have seasons? Is it because I don't have a pole?

I want to embark at a place that has a frozen lake or ocean in winter, but I think it's silly to have a North/South pole on a tiny map. Please advise!

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
Come witness the Saga of the Puzzling Sea!
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Are poles required for seasons?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 03:15:41 am »

Yes, at least one pole is required for seasonal changes. See your other post for more details.

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 04:35:15 am »

In my epic bridge fort, I had the biome switch from dead to forest a few years into the fortress. I think it had to do with a near by necromancer tower being conquered.

It was pretty cool to see the grass turn from brown to green and then tree seedlings appeared.
Isn't that just part of the forest growing bug that's unique to any area a player is currently playing their fortress in?
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9581

I don't think so, or at least it's not as described in that bug report. The world map tile color changed in addition to the grass suddenly springing back to life.

However, I've been very disappointed that while it snows every night in adventurer mode, the weather and temperature appear constant year-round in fortress mode. No seasonal ice in any of my "cold" or "temperate" biomes :-\ .
It's cool indeed with the evil being pushed back, but could actually be a bug. Sites are supposed to be immune to spreading evil, but apparently they're not to receding evil.

Worlds without poles have no seasonal changes. In addition, the poles and the equator on worlds with poles don't have any either, and the closer you are to the poles or the equator, the smaller the seasonal changes are (the maximum change is half way between the pole and the equator, with the change being approximately linear between the pole/equator and the mid latitude).

Darn! Is there any possible way to have seasons on a small map without having the an equatorial jungle just a weeks walk away from an ice cap?

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 08:09:53 am »

No, I don't think so unless you use PSV worlds. If I remember correctly, the equatorial zone will get the tropical variant of a biome if there is one, provided the temperature is above the "arctic" one (taiga and tundra). In a PSV world you can place biomes that have no tropical version in the tropical zone and keep the temperature down below what results in tropics in the sub tropical "maybe" zone. You can, of course, also keep the temperature down in the "tropics" to get taigas and tundras.

Your best option is probably to extend your suspension of disbelief to cover the world map as well.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 03:12:36 pm »

Yes. Change worldgen dimension to a non standard small. Ive a bit of an inner perv, inside me. Who doesnt?

I convert Instagram, well truth be told Hegre models, ya know the .jpg pic we can save,
and then convert. A tall narrow world is ideal for a centerfold-like art, ha, yeah #nudge-nudge# art. PerfectWorld wants .bmp files. 129x65. Instead of 65x65, typical Lazy Newb size. smaller.

Windows Paint then lets me snip/crop any jpg/bmp exactly to 129x65.  I like to use negative, gives mtns on outside of artwork. Then PerfectWorld lets me load the bmp negative of a pic as elevation. This makes for some enjoyable worlds and lets my dorfs crawl all over the sexpot of my creepy old man desires. Just do not do Orni, or it askews the image with irrelevant weather patterns.

Toss the crappy cold out by the edge, so ya have a good map to explore.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 04:28:15 am »

:o Thats... creative.

I guess narrow tall worlds are the way to go. I'd never heard of the PerfectWorld tool before.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 05:07:41 am »

You need at world height of 129 or 257 to have a chance to get the elusive Dry Broadleaf forest biome. For that reason my PSV worlds are 33 * 129.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 12:43:36 am »

ahh, is that why those white clovers forest(dry broadleaf)biomes showed up. Thought I just got lucky with the dice, Random Number Gen. Thank you.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.