Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Complete noob gets interesting forgotten beasts in starting world.  (Read 1570 times)

Skadooshbag

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

So yeah, I've never played this game before. I read the entirety of the game's tvtropes article, and decided that I'd give it a shot once I found some online tutorials. Once I generated my first world, I decided to check the historical figures to make sure there weren't any of those forgotten beasts made of steel.

I found quite a few interesting critters in the forgotten beast list; such as Bothonteling, a one-eyed mite with a fat bulging trunk; Simo, the feathered and emaciated pig with membranous, and even Ena, the gaunt mud blob (?)... but then we have Tad.

You're not a forgotten beast, Tad! You're just a fat scorpion! Stop pretending to be a Forgotten Beast so you can hang out with the cool kids, Tad! And lay off the big macs, you've gotten so fat that your exoskeleton is cracking form all the lard underneath, you loser!

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile

Don't worry *too* much about steel FB's when making a fortress, they might never come. Though, if they *do* pay you a visit, you'd better hope you can seal yourself off from the caverns in time.

By the way, welcome to the forums!
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Skadooshbag

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I was actually thinking of sticking to adventure mode until I've gotten the hang of the basic mechanics. Managing a single person seems like it sould be easier than managing a whole city.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Adventure mode and dwarf mode are two very different games. Adventure mode may teach you a bit about which creatures are dangerous, and about armor and weapons, but will only be of limited use in preparing you for fortress mode.
If you are looking at ways to make your fortress mode game less daunting, then I can advise you to look at dwarf therapist. That makes managing your dwarves much easier.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile

The wiki is your friend. Wield it often, whatever you choose.

Welcome!  :)
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Skadooshbag

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Adventure mode and dwarf mode are two very different games. Adventure mode may teach you a bit about which creatures are dangerous, and about armor and weapons, but will only be of limited use in preparing you for fortress mode.
If you are looking at ways to make your fortress mode game less daunting, then I can advise you to look at dwarf therapist. That makes managing your dwarves much easier.

What's dwarf therapist?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile

It's a 3rd party utility. It allows for much easier labor management and an easy look at information about dwarves. You can find it on the forum pretty easily or on DFFD.

I'd recommend going to the wiki often - in fact, the tutorial on there is really solid. Once you have a general idea of how to make a fort last more than a year, utilities like Dwarf Therapist can make it even easier. Some of it might be hard to understand without messing around in the base game, though.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Short answer (because my longer one's been somewhat ninjaed) is that the thread for it is http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=168411.0

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile

"The Lazy Newb Pack" is a really useful repackaging of DF that's full of useful utilities such as DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, and Legends Viewer
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Skadooshbag

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I'm actually currently using the lazy newb pack

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As and when you go for "city building," then, you may discover these things anyway.

Without the Therapist (or other plugins), you can probably still operate well enough with your initial 7 characters, popping into their job/thoughts screens and remembering who does what/is good at what/needs what/etc. Or jotting these things down (the less transient aspect) on paper, a text document or a companion spreadsheet of your own devising, while periodically checking the more volatile aspects manually (and updating accumulated skill levels, etc) as part of your playing strategy. Some things are obvious ("...has become a <profession>" alerts might mean they're now worth updating youself on, any dwarf finishing various types of Strange Mood ought to now be Legendary, the birth of a child means one extra (placeholder) person to remember, arriva of immigrants means a whole lot of (variously useful) new characters to consider the skillsets of) though others are a bit more subtle and take experience (and/or luck) to observe from an overview.

And when assigning/deassigning job-types, once you get a screen or so, keeping track of if any dwarf is currently a mason (perhaps wondering why no one is being masonic, despite something for them to be masonic with) or wondering exactly who might be better not refuse-hauling, that's when notes of some kind are useful.

DT does a lot of this for you. The 'noting' part, by importing data straight from DF in a grand table (and more!) that can be sorted to find problems/opportunities, and furthermore can be quickly changed with things you might have to dig in menus for in DF (primarily job assigments, but also nicknames and other details) that then can be exported back into the game.

It's an aid, and a useful one, but you'll probably want to play (and lose?) your first few fortresses without relying on it, at least in the early game, to fully appreciate the whole gamut of wishlist items that have been included in DT because of their absence in DF.

With LNP, you'll also have DFHack. This gives a whole range of other capabilities (and support for in-game 3rd-party extensions), from Therapist-like organiser/assistance displays that make up for similar shortcomings in the vanilla DF, to outright cheats which can make things very easy (or, if you are wanting a challenge, very hard), as you may or may not know from your Adventuring if you have delved into the tools that apply there.  But, again, I'd suggest you need to see "normal" gameplay and understand how you'd (e.g.) mass-dump items, organise stockpiles and convey liquids from A to B before automatically jumping into the additional tools to do those things without so much hassle. (Hassle is part of the achievement, naturally. Even in failure, which is of course a learning experience!)

((That's basically my "long" explanation, yet misses so much detail out. And I realise I forgot to welcome you, also, like I had intended to in my first message above. Enjoy!))
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 05:59:20 am by Starver »

Tournesol

• Bay Watcher
  • GOAT?? ME??
    • View Profile

Welcome! Just go for whatever you think sounds interesting.

One way of dealing with Forgotten Beasts is to build a wall and forget about them (until you foobar a digging designation and let the FB into your fort).

A not-very-spoilerish way to get the basics of fortress mode is to follow the quickstart guide on the wiki.
With the Starter Pack ("LNP"), what has been most useful for me are Dwarf Therapist, Legends Viewer and DFHack itself (DFHack docs: https://docs.dfhack.org/en/stable/). Armok Vision and StoneSense (not working in current version) are good, too.