Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Linear water reactor  (Read 1038 times)

vp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Linear water reactor
« on: May 08, 2020, 11:46:11 am »

So I accidentally built a linear water reactor, a perpetuum-mobile machine similar to classic water reactor but much simpler.

First I built an ordinary hydro power plant with artificial underground river and fortifications in the edge of the map. Then for some reason I decided to cut the rivermouth off with a cave-in:

Surprisingly the water in remaining part of the river didn't cease to flow, the flag WATER_IS_FLOWING or whatever it's named, that flag apparently had not been cleared. I closed the incoming waterflow and so I have a big pool of physically stagnant water that logically is flowing from nowhere to nowhere and this quantum-like flowing generates 100 urists of power per water wheel:

It seems to me that it needs more science.

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Linear water reactor
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 12:12:46 pm »

Yeah, it works like that. You can also block off the water flow with bridges.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 12:23:06 pm »

It also gets toggled on with aquifers (but not portable drains). Furthermore, this permaflow still carries off contaminants, which allows for self-cleaning water trenches for dwarves to walk through.

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 04:23:55 pm »

Here's a perpetual water power machine I built over an ocean (which apparently has no wind):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
Come witness the Saga of the Puzzling Sea!
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.