Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do aquifers decide where to spawn?  (Read 577 times)

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
How do aquifers decide where to spawn?
« on: May 09, 2020, 09:58:56 am »

Basically the title: what determines where an aquifer will spawn and where one won't in world gen? I consider myself pretty experienced with advanced world gen, but have not for the life of me been able to find what causes aquifers. They seem loosely correlated to elevation (high elevations get less, low get more), but that's the most control I've been able to get over them, and even then I have no idea what the deal is with the actual mechanics regarding it are. I've done untold numbers of searches trying to figure this out, but have found nothing. I suspect there's been a FoTF post or something about it, since they've been mysterious for a long while, but again, no dice.

I did find Toady's post on FoTF regarding heavy vs light, where heavy aquifers spawn on tiles that have their drainage%20 = 7, and made a quick hack to make all aquifers into heavy aquifers, reversing the new light-aquifers-only script. Toady's statement does strongly imply that aquifers are not correlated with drainage, but that's still the only exact mechanic I know, and even if it has been helpful it's not all of what I want.

I'm basically just trying to maximize aquifers. Being able to minimize them should I want to would be helpful, too. This isn't an entirely modding-based question, but world gen stuff seems to get lumped in with this kind of stuff, so.