Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Guildhalls help dwarves make fast friends  (Read 2308 times)

Temujin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Guildhalls help dwarves make fast friends
« on: April 24, 2020, 11:35:00 pm »

Hey, started 2 fortresses in a row with a guildhall based strategy -

1st 7 are mostly farmers - set up a farmer guildhall right away and a masons guildhall next.

In both cases, the 1st seven were already friends, but the 2nd wave masons, given their own hall and kept somewhat separate by use of overlapping burrows - made multiple friends within the first year.  In my first fort, this proved true for the third and 4th waves of migrants as well - it seems that during the guildhall socialization and teaching, friendships are much more likely to happen then anywhere else I've seen.   

It's important that every dwarf has at least one skill for the guildhall turned on.  Planting for farmers, masonry for masons and some shared crafting for the craftdwarves.   This has helped morale in my forts a lot.   

TLDR:  Guilds + burrow = dwarves socializing and learning in guilds = making friends.

andrei901

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guildhalls help dwarves make fast friends
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 05:00:58 pm »

Report back after the first death, please?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 01:38:53 am »

I allowed visitors for my single "real" guildhall and was surprised to see a visitor holding a demonstration for another visitor and a couple of fortress dorfs (in a useless skill, but anyway).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 04:40:18 am »

Yeah, I've found building a bunch of guildhalls and opening them to the general public a great way of keeping dorfs usefully occupied. It meets crafty needs, learning needs, raises possibly useful skills and when they're not studying they're socializing in their new bunch-up social groups. Win-win (and eventually a guild will form and you'll have already met the hall needs).

My monarch arrived in my recent fortress and went straight down to the ranger hall to teach everyone how to ambush properly. Cool monarch, ex-bandit.

Temujin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 10:37:21 am »

I've run three more forts and the best way to get a dwarf to make friends is to burrow them in a guildhall with some other dwarves with the same skills enabled- dwarves seem to make friends with those who have similar skills faster.
I supply food and water, and since all of the workshops are in the guildhall, put the dwarves to work.   Within a year, most dwarves have multiple friends, and only one or two have no friends. 

What I'm doing is burrowing most crafts, while allowing miners, haulers, admin etc.  free movement.  Apparently, you can immediately socialize in a guild, socialize or train with dwarves far away in the guild, and that training and socializing builds relationships a lot more quickly than a tavern.   

The other key is keeping your guilds around 15 or less dwarves, so that  they are repeatedly socializing with the same dwarf.   My next question is does the same thing happen with burrowed dwarves in taverns? 

In this build, friendship seems like a more important need, and losing a friend is less likely to make a tantrum spiral.