Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarfs refuse to stay inside in an evil biome.  (Read 843 times)

Randomizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarfs refuse to stay inside in an evil biome.
« on: April 25, 2020, 10:27:36 am »

I created a fort on an evil biome.  It was the winter of my first year.  Suddenly without warning my dwarfs in mass decided to run outside.  It said they were preforming the job "store item in stockpile".  I checked the map and could not find anything to collect.  I have no idea why they are doing this.  I also could not find the out "Dwarfs stay indoors order".  It seems to have been replaced with burrows.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfs refuse to stay inside in an evil biome.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 11:19:27 am »

Two ways to find out what the items involved in the jobs are..

Use 'j', find one of the jobs, and hit 'j' again, then you should be looking at the items the job involves.

Bring up the dwarf's information (use 'u', select dwarf, then 'z', or use 'v' and move the cursor to the dwarf), then key 'g', and key 'Enter', then you should be looking at the items the job involves.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 11:41:38 am »

I don't know about any "Stay Indoors" command, but there might have been one before my time. The current alternative is civilian alert burrows that forbid the dorfs from taking jobs outside of the burrow (but does not prevent them from taking the shortest route between burrow locations when that takes them outside of the burrow: it's the end point that matters).

In your case you'd get a job cancellation spam storm rather than them running outside, as burrow restrictions for stockpile actions (at least) are checked only after the job has been taken.

If you don't particularly care what the dorfs were rushing to get, you can use d-b-f over the whole surface to mass forbid everything (including the teeth the buggers probably were trying to collect). There are also Orders to control what they should do, and I think it's possible to have corpses (and bits of soon to be ones) being auto forbidden (on death in case of the corpse, when spread for teeth and the like).

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 08:48:33 am »

Forbidding the items is your best bet, as it also counters the job cancellation spam