Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Video - Swampcavern's Mightiest Warrior  (Read 926 times)

TheEqualsE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Video - Swampcavern's Mightiest Warrior
« on: April 08, 2020, 01:40:32 pm »

https://youtu.be/yXeAsGNk_SQ

I'm sure a lot of DF players have an example of the most competent warrior they've ever seen.  Here's mine.

In times like these I think we all need a little more fantasy in our lives.

Anyone else have an example of their best fighter of all time?
Likes cats for their aloofness.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Video - Swampcavern's Mightiest Warrior
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 06:33:05 am »

I can just imagine your poor militia commander screaming at Crowgirl. "DAMN IT CROWGIRL, YOU'RE A LOOSE CANNON!"
"But I get the job done,"

I've had a few throughout the various versions of DF. In 0.31 I had whole squadrons of blind dwarflords who feared nothing, held their ground against impossible odds and succeeded nonetheless - the enemy would be slain before the end of their martial trances. I had a grizzled commander who maintained strict discipline in the trenches of an amber glacier-mining colony; multiple times he survived assassination attempts by berserk Dwarves, one of whom attacked him with an axe whilst he was sleeping.

One of my fondest warriors was one who by most measures, was not particularly accomplished, especially when compared to the likes of a Crowgirl. Her name was Mebzuth, and she lived in a Fortress I placed on a desert split in halves by a deep river. On one half of the river giant badgers marauded across the land. We would frequently lose Dwarves to the giant badgers, having access to no metals whatsoever. We would use hunting dogs to scare the giant badgers away, but after one disastrous attempt to pursue the fleeing giant badgers resulted in the deaths of four Dwarves and nearly all the hunting dogs, we retreated.
Things were all right when we retreated to the south, for a while. One particularly dark winter saw the river freeze and the giant badgers cross south, where the badger-hunters were the only line of defence between the Fort and total annihilation. Mebzuth was the only Dwarf who fought three giant badgers and survived, slaying them all with her badger-bone spear. I promoted Mebzuth to Captain when I saw her standing victorious over a pile of giant badger corpses, even as we buried the corpse of the previous Captain, Captain Zuntir.
When the goblins attacked, they came to our lands with weapons and armour of cruel iron. Our warriors were bedecked in badger-bone armour and spears, incapable of denting any of their mail or plate. Mebzuth held out the longest, actually wounding one of the goblin leaders, but besides some scratches we did not deliver a single casualty to the goblin raiders. Nevertheless, I remember Mebzuth.

In terms of sheer killing output and survivability, I'll probably never top Asmel and Datan. Immortal were-creature warlords who have endured multiple fatal injuries. They have gone into battle unarmoured against undead hordes supported by necromancers, against forgotten beasts, Titans, armies & worse. They have had all of their organs rupture, had their limbs removed, been set on fire, and their standard monthly training regime usually results in compound fractures. Still - they don't mind

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 08:47:59 am »

My most recent badass was 'promoted' to get him out of his other jobs, in which he was performing slowly and spending more time in the tavern than the workshops.
He picked up an iron spear and suddenly had a purpose. I never did catch him training, but apparently every time he got sent to kill something or stumbled across something hostile, it was nothing more than stab-stab, over. Left lung, right lung, seemingly every time. They were lucky to even take a swing, and he never did get injured.
He's the one that single-handedly defeated a forgotten beast breathing necrotic dust. It wiped out two entire squads, Urist McStabby dodged in around it, stab-stab. And since it didn't die immediately, went methodically to work on its limbs. Stab, forearm flies off. Stab, there goes a foot.
I think he lost a tooth. He was there until the fort died FPS death.

My personal favorite: Urist McAsskicker.
First goblin siege, he gets conscripted, runs out of the fortress and passes by all the dwarves already on the way, and has a considerable lead by the time he met the first goblins to immediately...
Well, pass out in a pool of his own blood.
I'm surprised he survived to get to the hospital.
But survive he did, and he spent a long time in recovery. Over a year, I think. He was still there for the next siege, and saw the fresh wounded come carried in from the surface and most of them carried back out to the depths.
Once he did get out, he trained. And trained, and trained. If he wasn't eating or drinking, he was training.
Until the next siege came. He sprinted out to meet them, had a considerable lead when he met the first wave, and...
Utterly routed the siege among a shower of their own blood, minor digits and teeth. (Hah, got you on the suspense there!) On his own, before the rest of the squad even caught up to him.

So I remembered he was labelled a hammerdwarf, I'm going to give him the artifact silver hammer we've had laying around. He freaking earned that, and was going to wreck face wholesale.
Except I get cancellations. "Not enough hands." or something to that effect.
That first siege, when he passed out from blood loss? It was because the front sword-goblin had immediately lopped both his arms off.
So he had recovered and trained until he kicked ass at kicking asses. He had routed siege #3, singlezero-handedly, solely through kicking.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

TheEqualsE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 08:37:39 pm »

I really like hearing about people's mightiest dwarves, or their memorable ones.  I really regret that some of my best warriors who were hunters, trained hard from firing their weapons in anger almost every minute of every day they were on the job, would get killed without me watching at least when they took on a cave dragon and ran out of ammo at a bad time, or their ambush skill finally failed them.
Likes cats for their aloofness.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 03:18:43 pm »

Attention is almost DF's most valuable resource, second only to patience, third only to impatience

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 09:14:38 pm »

Bastiongate is nearly 60 years old.

The first siege of the fort was the worst - while I did have walls and a gate to hide behind, I chose to send out my small military. They were skilled, but ill-equipped. I figured that as long as they had shields and weapons, their dodge and shield skills would protect them.

I was right. But their sun sickness balanced out their skill. Out of six, only two survived. Ast Shotboots the macedwarf managed to single-handedly rout the two squads of goblins after they killed his comrades. He had been outside enough that he only got dizzy, not nauseous. The other survivor, Kib Arrowunited the macedwarf, slept through the battle.

The barracks were moved outside. Ast was promoted to militia commander. Some useless dwarves were drafted. Gradually, over the years, the military grew to 10 dwarves. Just 10. But their prowess was unmatched. Each of them would chew through entire squads of goblins and barely tire. Chief among them were Ast and Kib. Ast had almost two hundred kills when he passed away from old age, mostly goblins and trolls. He was succeeded by his eldest son Domas, who picked up his mace and shield in order to carry on the tradition.

Kib, though late for that fight, always showed her strength in future fights. She has 122 kills including three demons and a forgotten beast - though every member of Bastiongate's military, even the marksdwarves, have killed at least one demon. Her crown, though, is the flying, web-spitting hill titan that she slew on top of the very walls of Bastiongate. There isn't another dwarf that I can say singlehandedly saved Bastiongate, except her. What's more, her skills are truly divine. I've never seen larger numbers in DF.

Her skills, according to Dwarf Therapist:

Frankly, I didn't expect those numbers to be as high as they are. Therapist also shows me that 3 other members of that 10-man squad have numbers nearly as high.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 03:59:57 am »

Kib is literally a Sauron tier macelord