Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New graphical version for Dwarf fortress  (Read 2237 times)

janamdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New graphical version for Dwarf fortress
« on: March 20, 2020, 04:08:28 am »

Is there a new Dwarf fortress coming with new graphics ( not the steam version ) ?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New graphical version for Dwarf fortress
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 04:41:12 am »

The Premium version will come in a commercial version (Steam, Itch.io) that includes graphics, and the Classic version that does not have any graphics included. However, the functionality of the Classic version will be the same as the commercial one, which means that third party tile sets can be produced, so it's reasonable to assume a number of the current tile sets will be ported to work with the Premium version.
There are going to be a number of changes to graphics in the Premium version, including a separation of tile sets from saves, as well as most or all the functionality TwbT provides currently (and probably things on top of that). Both of these changes will affect tile sets, which means support for the Premium version may take longer than it usually takes for a tile set to support a new version. Also, given that new functionality will be included in the game itself, it's not unreasonable to assume some tile set artists will want to make use of some of that functionality, resulting in a further delay.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 05:27:47 am »

Is there a new Dwarf fortress coming with new graphics ( not the steam version ) ?
Graphics is only one part of the current development arc. An overall look at the usability of the game is being done. So a new UI (keys that make sense), mouse support of course, extra functionality for improved graphics and music, a clean up of the more annoying bugs that tend to put off new users, easier file structures for adding mods and a tutorial (at least for the basics of starting up a new fortress anyway).

Once development is done, a version will be released on Steam and Itch.io for $20 which will have a newly created graphics set and music that takes advantage of the new code and (in the Steam version) Workshop for adding mods (hence the file structure brush-up), and a fee version at Bay12Games which won't have a tileset, music or access to Steam Workshop but is the same game, so people will continue to be able to add their own tilesets and music and they'll be able to take advantage of all the new functionality.

There is a few decades of Dwarf Fortress development to come before even a "feature complete" version is reached, so there'll always be a new Dwarf Fortress coming.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 05:31:39 am by Shonai_Dweller »

janamdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 10:32:08 am »

There is a few decades of Dwarf Fortress development to come before even a "feature complete" version is reached, so there'll always be a new Dwarf Fortress coming.

Thanks
I am curoius to see if the commercial version on steam with all easy menu's then will bring more play depth ?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 12:53:45 pm by janamdo »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 02:38:32 pm »

There are going to be a number of changes to graphics in the Premium version, including a separation of tile sets from saves, as well as most or all the functionality TwbT provides currently (and probably things on top of that).

AH that gets me excited! Did you glean that info from the FotF thread?
Quote from: Shonai_Dweller

After a decade of waiting I would have to agree. .

Thanks
I am curoius to see if the commercial version on steam with all easy menu's then will bring more play depth ?

That points to the reason people argue so much about U.I. design in this game. The functionality is there, the depth is there, but it isn't very accessible. So players who bounced off the game before will return, new players probably won't even touch the ascii version and (god forbid!) may not even be aware there was an ascii version.

If you find yourself struggling with the current version's menus, there is no better way to learn than to play! Every time you play just try to perform some new task, or learn one new aspect of the military menu, or perhaps embark in some new location that forces you to change your playstyle.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 07:40:52 pm by Salmeuk »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 04:10:41 pm »

Cannot say exactly where the info comes from, but the FotF thread and the Premium graphics threads are my main sources. There may also be something from talks Toady has held and linked to from the forum.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2020, 04:15:33 pm »

Question -- will better UI (even with the default ASCII graphics) be in the free version too, once the Steam release comes out?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2020, 05:38:56 pm »

Question -- will better UI (even with the default ASCII graphics) be in the free version too, once the Steam release comes out?
Yes, it's the same game.

Well, if he adds icons to the interface forcing people to choose their options from tiny, tiny pictures, then it might not be replicated exactly. But, improved keys, mouse selection, intuitive military options and so on will all be the same.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 05:41:53 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2020, 02:01:50 am »

The commercial version of the Premium release includes the same character "graphics" as the Classic version will, with the difference that the commercial version(s) will have a graphic tileset as the default, with the character being something you'd have to select. The character UI will thus be the same.
The game code is the same in both versions, although the commercial versions may have vendor specific additions (workshop, achievements...). Note that the tileset isn't part of the code (but obviously part of the package), just as RAWs aren't part of the code (although the RAWs will be the same for regardless of the distribution channel).

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2020, 10:52:09 am »

native graphics and sfx/music support for dwarf fortress?

i may cry tears of joy

tedward1337

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2020, 04:28:11 pm »

So a new UI (keys that make sense)
Unsure what you mean by that. Does you mean the menu keys as they've been standing for years now are going to be changed??

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2020, 04:45:43 pm »

So a new UI (keys that make sense)
Unsure what you mean by that. Does you mean the menu keys as they've been standing for years now are going to be changed??

More than just the menu keys, friend.

Do not worry. It shall be good. You will understand in time.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2020, 04:59:43 pm »

Trust in Toady... he hasn't failed us yet. Heck, the game is still alpha... not even halfway to version 1.00  ;D
FPS in Gravearmor (925+ dwarves) is 2-5 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.