Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Blind Cave Ogre Rotten Slayer: What is it?  (Read 1496 times)

Gilead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Blind Cave Ogre Rotten Slayer: What is it?
« on: March 23, 2020, 01:25:57 pm »

Hi!
I am currently playing in Fortress Mode.
3 Blind Cave Ogres have infiltrated my fortress. I sent my squads to deal with them. After a while, in the unit list, two of the Ogres have gained names and their name is followed by "rotten slayer" and they are displayed in blue. As you can see here:

I have no clue what they are now. If I [View Unit] it describes severely injured cave ogres. Not a word about "rotten slayers".
Does someone know what happened to them?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 01:58:42 pm by Gilead »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Cave Ogre Rotten Slayer: What is it?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 02:06:16 pm »

One of the new undead types? Got any necromancers in your fort?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Gilead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 02:40:06 pm »

Oh!
I do have a couple of necromancers. One of them is even in a squad!

So, you think it's a Cave Troll corpse reanimated by my necromancer?
So, what do I do with it? Is it dangerous? Can I give it orders?

Gilead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 03:32:08 pm »

I have 2 Dwarf Rotten Slayers too.

This must be it, they died and the necromancer revived them.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 03:33:13 pm »

There are currently issues with intelligent undead maintaining past loyalties. If they see somebody they fought with in life, they'll probably go hostile.

You can give them orders if they petition for citizenship, but I'm not sure blind cave ogres can do that.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 05:14:31 pm »

There are currently issues with intelligent undead maintaining past loyalties. If they see somebody they fought with in life, they'll probably go hostile.

You can give them orders if they petition for citizenship, but I'm not sure blind cave ogres can do that.

They're one of those weird things that get treated as animals if you tame them but they also have the learn tag, so they can apparently have skills.  They're sapients and can't be butchered, or rather, dwarves won't butcher them.  I think they have the characteristics that allow them to petition for citizenship like visitors would, but I'm not sure.  Wait around and see if they do.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2020, 06:57:40 pm »

So, what do I do with it? Is it dangerous? Can I give it orders?
Large undead tend to take and give many hits before going down, and blind cave ogres are bigger than elephants. They should be easy to cage and to weaponize. Then you can have fun with increased invader caps.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Gilead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 07:52:28 am »

I finally found the info I was looking for here.
It is often quite hard to find specific info on this wiki...