Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New stockpile setting by Distance  (Read 527 times)

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New stockpile setting by Distance
« on: January 07, 2020, 03:43:22 pm »

Having the ability to mark a stockpile to only gather things by distance would be helpful.  It could be an expandable square like when you designate a room (which would only work on a single z-level I guess but that's find by me), or just a number that would be the amount of tiles away from the edge tile of a stockpile.

This would help with things like stone stockpiles in mines. Preventing dwarves from dragging boulders hundreds of z-levels across your map because the best stockpile is full instead of just leaving boulders to sit until there is space in the better stockpile.

Also could be good for cleaning up siege messes; make two stockpiles, one for corpses and one for everything else and mark the everything else one for trade. I do this right now and it works ok, but once the stockpile for everything else starts to lose items to trade the dwarves start dragging things from all over map there and I have to disable it or tweak the setting a bunch. It would be much easier to plop a stockpile in a warzone and say 'only take things here if it's within 20 tiles'.