Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I need ideas: punishments, rewards  (Read 841 times)

âbirtobul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I need ideas: punishments, rewards
« on: January 23, 2020, 12:13:29 am »

Do you guys have any unusual punishments and rewards that you aflict/bestow upon your dwarves?

Like if I hold a foot-race what could the winner get? Any ideas for fortress games/rituals that could give reason for rewards or punishments?

I'm considering a caste system or social credit system where they move up and down, and toooo down is bad, and up gets progressively rewarded. I need ideas to help slot them over time. Or ideas for my system.

In Roman history you could serve as a legionary to get land and rights I think, after your many years are up. Have any of you done something like that?

In star wars the spice mines of Kessel are a capitalistic look I could model maybe... Massive slave colony, guards.

TLDR: share your creative ideas for punishments, rewards, class distinctions, and competitions or... Opportunities for them to go up/down.

âbirtobul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I need ideas: punishments, rewards
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 12:20:04 am »

Oh and I want an idea for creating an oracle of Delphi type thing we could 'consult' for certain decisions. I think Roman generals would check with the gods before battle with a chicken's behavior..

Ideas on a 'consult the gods' ritual?

Sorry, last thing, if I involved my elected nobles very specifically in rituals, what would be an interesting way to do that?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 12:35:29 am by âbirtobul »

FourierSeries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 12:54:20 am »

Be your gods of the sacrificial variety, or otherwise, there is but one standard. For any ritual involving the nobility, magma is the key ingredient.

I don't think losing guts actually kills you, you just throw up and pass out and bleed to death.
This was supposed to be a cool upgrade. All I got was more hostile zombies.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 03:24:15 am »

Ritual magma lavage is not as essential to fortress function as it used to be BITD.

Toady has really reformed the nobility over the past few years. They used to be just unbearable shitstains. Now they actually do useful work, and only go demand-happy when they have unmet needs.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 10:34:42 am »

In one fort, I tried to micro-manage some house rules pertaining to military gear. 

Copper weapons, weapon skill level < 5. 
Bronze/Iron/Silver, weapon skill level < 10. 
Steel weapons, weapon skill skill 10+ 

Copper armor, Armor User < 5. 
Bronze/Iron armor, Armor User < 10. 
Steel armor, Armor User < 10. 

It was kind of a pain because some better quality copper get chosen over poor quality steel. 
So I had to adjust uniforms for specific materials.

âbirtobul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 01:33:08 pm »

Be your gods of the sacrificial variety, or otherwise, there is but one standard. For any ritual involving the nobility, magma is the key ingredient.

Yes! And maybe freezing if I could figure out how.

Question: how could I make a lava punishment have some rng element? Like where they may or may not fall off the walkway of Doom. Or they may or may not outrun lava in a maze?

I have had dwarves fall down Wells but I'm not sure how to reproduce it. Wiki said crowds bump into each other? So would a group of nobles going across a magma walkway have a chance to bump others off?

Edit: Reading the other thread maybe I could incorporate dropping items on them. Like the Noble wanted 3 backpacks, okay he'll have 3 backpacks dropped on him from a height and then live on with his backpack caused injuries. Or we consult our 'Oracle' device for the # of backpacks to be dropped.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 01:44:22 pm by âbirtobul »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 02:46:07 pm »

load 3 backpacks in a minecart, delivered via shotgun through fortification on room, and delivery is triggered by pressure plate when room is entered.