Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Edible Vegetation in Adventure Mode  (Read 12281 times)

Fi

• Bay Watcher
  • φ
    • View Profile
Re: Edible Vegetation in Adventure Mode
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2019, 07:40:06 pm »

You can test it by doing it to a bandit or something, if you have high observer it will say "x is swinging their sword at you" or "x is attacking you" etc when you hit the attack key.

Is there a way I can make myself a "God" that cannot lose limbs nor die in a separate world/region to test this out? I would rather not risk my primary Adventurer for such a thing if no one else knows any of what I mentioned above.

Also about entities, its all good. But now you will know what toady means when he says entity in a dev log or when someone says it here :) .

I would have learned the meaning of the word in Dwarf Fortress's context eventually—similarly to the whole "file" and "raw" thing, but thanks for hastening the process. Let us hope I will retain memory of the word.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2019, 08:31:41 am »

I was primarily concerned about every race not having the full 25 tile viewrange the Dwarves seem to have received as a blessing that helps with stealth and prowling about during the night—y'know, the things you mentioned to me about what made Dwarves the more optimal choice for Archery.
In a world that was genned with bogeymen, you wouldn't be doing any night archery. I never did any until 2017(?) when I began genning worlds with bogeymen set to off. Rangers should be able to travel solo and sleep under the stars.

About training Dodging and Shield User, I heard something about other players using crabs to train those two skills because... they are weak or slow? I might try that out if I can find a shield and a beach with crabs.
Some players will grind (using macros) skills versus crabs or other small critters as this is a shortcut to a statistically powerful character. As an experiment it is definitely worth doing.

He means it doesn't make sense to him to be able to use a bow well while simultaneously holding a shield, so he avoids it.

If the shield can be strapped to the forearm, I do not see why not.
I imagine the combat reports where a critter blocks a crossbow bolt with his shield and follows up by firing his longbow instantly afterwards might seem jarring.
Combat report spam can be overlooked.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
When I think archer, I see the Rankin/Bass take on Bard the Bowman, and not Legolas meets The Matrix; which means archery = artillery.

So, mainly a roleplay POV issue.

Fi

• Bay Watcher
  • φ
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2019, 02:53:07 pm »

In a world that was genned with bogeymen, you wouldn't be doing any night archery. I never did any until 2017(?) when I began genning worlds with bogeymen set to off. Rangers should be able to travel solo and sleep under the stars.

Fortunately for my peace of mind, I discovered that Bogeyman generation has been disabled by default for GM-X's DA:III, so they are thankfully not a concern which means Archery during the night without the full twenty-five viewrange that Dwarves possess for both day and night is still a concern for me.

That means... I was worried about Bogeymen for nothing and thought my companions were doing an exceptional job of keeping those pesky Bogeymen from assaulting me when I was wandering about and sleeping in random trees at night.

Some players will grind (using macros) skills versus crabs or other small critters as this is a shortcut to a statistically powerful character. As an experiment it is definitely worth doing.

To my amusement, I have enough patience to do such things without the use of macros (I feel like I should thank my childhood spent playing old-fashioned grinding RPGs like Ultima Online for my patience).

I grinded my Archery and Bowman to Legendary one or two days ago, and I believe I can manage dancing with a crab to train Dodging and Shield User as well if their skill gains are not incredibly slow—if I can find a crab.

(E: Added a tidbit more text.)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 02:55:17 pm by Fi »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]