Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Breeding Gorlaks  (Read 1878 times)

Tilmar13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Breeding Gorlaks
« on: October 31, 2019, 07:17:35 pm »

I recently came across a pair of (hypothetically) breeding Gorlaks. There doesn't seem to be much information on the subject, but the question is posed. Can I breed them?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 07:25:06 pm by Tilmar13 »
Klinka Na Karaz : Grung A Na Grungron : Az A Na Ankor
A Pick for the Earth : A Hammer for the Anvil : An Axe for everything else

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Breeding Gorlaks
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 07:56:19 pm »

They need to be married.

Based on my previous testing, I suspect non-fortress sentients won't marry even if they're historical, so you need to get them to join fortress. Also even if you didn't, you'd need to ensure they become historical units anyway.

If they're completely wild, this might be possible in adventure mode perhaps, but I'm not sure whether they'd escape the fortress in site unloading-loading cycle.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 05:49:10 am »

The current marriage age restriction of a max difference of 10 years makes match making very hard (relaxed in the next version).

Completely wild sapients breed according to what looks like normal animal rules, so troglo births aren't that uncommon, in particular if they belong to a camping group (e.g. trapped by growing mushroom trees).
If that is correct, trapped sapients ought to be possible to be "set free" in a locked enclosure to breed. Note that a side effect of "setting them free" is that DF considers their creature groups to be roaming the map, blocking the entrance of any replacement groups in the corresponding cavern layer(s). Savage biomes allow for 1-2 groups per layer, while other biomes restrict the maximum to 1 group (Gorlaks typically come in "groups" of size 1).

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 06:36:30 am »

Troglos, trolls, blind cave ogres etc. are animal rules because they have SLOW_LEARNER, which removes the need for marriage.

E: Though having mentioned it, it now occurs to me that you could maybe mod gorlaks to be slow learners too until they get pregnant.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 06:38:30 am by Fleeting Frames »

wooks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 11:17:33 am »

ahhh yes, the lobotomy approach to reproduction. It is glorious.
In a game like Dwarf Fortress, going to the wiki being cheating is like saying bringing a parachute is cheating for skydiving.
"Has it been 4 days? Better check if my penis is still there again."