Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Terraforming HFS?  (Read 1383 times)

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
Terraforming HFS?
« on: October 18, 2019, 05:36:45 am »

so, for my mod, im planning to give attention to some of the locations i find most neglected by the game as written. Probably foremost of these in my eyes is hell itself; aside from the demons, theres really nothing there. no reason to try to breach the adamantine, or attempt to survive the initial siege. Its barren. Which means, boring.

If I made grass, plants, and trees that existed down there, do you all think theyd grow? I suppose its worth a try either way. Worst thatd happen is the plants would just be nonexistant
My (long abandoned) mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Terraforming HFS?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 06:08:36 am »

You can make custom demons that give special silk, or special butchery products or itemcorpses. For example I made some demons that give you the means to create your own adamantine after you defeated them.

Cavern plants with depth:5:5 will also start growing in your caverns once you breach hell, but won't grow in hell itself.

You can remove the undiggable tag from Slade and allow dwarves to mine and process it...
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 06:31:18 am »

Similar to the tree spores, I guess you could borrow a note from creepy crawlers and make custom vermin.

Also, astinax mentioned in 2012 that beekeeping stuff doesn't work for subterranean vermin colonies, but if the vermin is external (like bee workers surrounding bee hive) and webspinning it'll leave webs surrounding the hive(/animal trap/cage if pet) it is in.

@Meph: Does the cavern plant not growing apply even when slade is marked as soil?

(I know flooding hell with water doesn't result in cavern 1-3 plants growing in it, though.)

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 07:03:42 am »

i was thinking about experimenting with this. I was gonna tunnel to hell, flood it, and see if when that happened, the mud would sprout my added in cavernlayer 3-5 plants.
My (long abandoned) mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 09:53:27 am »

so, for my mod, im planning to give attention to some of the locations i find most neglected by the game as written. Probably foremost of these in my eyes is hell itself; aside from the demons, theres really nothing there. no reason to try to breach the adamantine, or attempt to survive the initial siege. Its barren. Which means, boring.

If I made grass, plants, and trees that existed down there, do you all think theyd grow? I suppose its worth a try either way. Worst thatd happen is the plants would just be nonexistant
Something you could do to enable grass and other plants to grow is to tag slade as SOIL. It can't be dug either way, so it won't matter for players.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?