Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: is there a way to make necromancer generate or build their tower in evil biome?  (Read 2513 times)

Hiul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

as the title say is there a way to make necromancer only build their tower in evil biome? if it possible can this also work in generating vampire,werebeast, etc in evil biome too?

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile

I don't think its possible to make necromancers build only in evil areas. I Have only two ideas how to potentially encourage them to do so:

1. somehow limit the list of things a necromancer can raise from the dead to beings only living in evil biomes. Necros need zombies to build their towers IIRC. However, there is still no guarantee they'll build a tower in the biome. Obviously, this would limit the amount things the necromancer can raise to a very small amount of creatures. This may or may not be what you want.

2. create a civ that lives in towns in evil biomes. This can be achieved by putting the USE_EVIL_ANIMALS token on a civ. A civ needs to build towns in order to get necros IIRC. I don't know if the civ's ability to build in either evil or good biomes influences where their necros build their towers. There's still no guarantee they'll build the tower in a evil biome.

As for the vampires/werebeast thing:
There is only one way im sure will work, that is to use a weather/regional interaction. However, this means that random creatures will get turned into vamps/weres when the interaction triggers.

Of course, i'm not mentioning scripts, because i don't know what is or isn't possible with them.
Also, due to my recent discoveries, i can't be sure of anything any more. Maybe it is possible to trigger deity interactions in only specific biomes somehow. Supposedly IS_REGION will only work for a regional interaction but maybe it'll work if you put it on a deity interaction?
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

Yeah, not surety is wisdom here. I have little modding knowledge, but more worldgen and script knowledge. Regarding 1, in my worldgen experience necromancers pick up corpses from battlefields, then build a tower in a different place, so that wouldn't quite work.

2. is wrong; you can get necromancers in dwarf-only words. A creature needs to be mortal, fear death (meaning needs violence in worldgen) and beseech to a deity of death to get a slab for necromancer powers.

Furthermore, a tower can be built in a good biome when parent civ is humans, or evil one when parent civ is elves. (This worldgen has both examples.)

When a necromancer makes a tower, it first makes a group for it, then that entity builds the tower. It's possible to access entities in memory - you could modify their raws (which are normally sourced from parent civilization) - but as they don't respect the restrictions therein, I'm not sure what that could accomplish. Maybe you could your own tower site with a script in worldgen and link their entity to that before they build it on their own, maybe? No idea if that would work.

It's possible to partially move towers. This allows them to siege players, but will not transfer all links properly (civs still build near old site). Alternatively, you could make where they build an evil biome. They're planned to start spreading evil reanimation from their build locations in next version anyway.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 05:43:07 am by Fleeting Frames »

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile

Yeah, not surety is wisdom here. I have little modding knowledge, but more worldgen and script knowledge. Regarding 1, in my worldgen experience necromancers pick up corpses from battlefields, then build a tower in a different place, so that wouldn't quite work.

2. is wrong; you can get necromancers in dwarf-only words. A creature needs to be mortal, fear death (meaning needs violence in worldgen) and beseech to a deity of death to get a slab for necromancer powers.

Furthermore, a tower can be built in a good biome when parent civ is humans, or evil one when parent civ is elves. (This worldgen has both examples.)

When a necromancer makes a tower, it first makes a group for it, then that entity builds the tower. It's possible to access entities in memory - you could modify their raws (which are normally sourced from parent civilization) - but as they don't respect the restrictions therein, I'm not sure what that could accomplish. Maybe you could your own tower site with a script in worldgen and link their entity to that before they build it on their own, maybe? No idea if that would work.

It's possible to partially move towers. This allows them to siege players, but will not transfer all links properly (civs still build near old site). Alternatively, you could make where they build an evil biome. They're planned to start spreading evil reanimation from their build locations in next version anyway.

Welp im not suprised. Manipulating necrotower spawns isnt exactly something i come in contact with, i'm mostly a creature modder, with a bit of interaction stuff/syndromes on the side. So i was merely theorizing. Still i was damn sure that necros needed town civs to generate... has it changed within the last few versions?
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website

It is not really a solution to your problem, but as of the next version of vanilla DF necro towers will cause evil areas around them - so waiting it out will kind of work.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

@Strik3r: It hasn't. But I do agree that human civs have necromancers happen more easily; this is due them being much more warlike and different from each other.

Hiul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i know about the new update, i just prefer it was build on evil biome right away rather than waiting and possibly ruin a nice biome.