Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Elemental body parts  (Read 3192 times)

LadyCookie

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Mechanic
    • View Profile
Elemental body parts
« on: August 17, 2019, 09:38:16 am »

Greetings people! This is my first post here, but certainly not the last.
In my quest to make the game more suited to my tastes, I wanted to make a half-elemental race (like the Genasi from D&D). I want them to have elemental hair (each element is a caste):

Water genasi: Water hair
Fire genasi: Lava hair
Air genasi: Steam hair
Earth genasi: Crystal hair

Will there be a problem for fire genasi to have lava hair (like making their hats catch fire)? And can the lava hair be weaponized (like throwing a severed fire genasi head on an enemy, or a necromancer animating the severed hair into a lava zombie hair? Or just - will the lava hair burn the heck out of their faces?

And what about the earth genasi crystal hair? Does it interfere with their weigh, or offer unwanted extra protection, or become an indestructible crystal zombie hair if necromanced? And finally, are there other innate problems with the water and steam hair from the other castes?
I have nothing to put here

MachoNacho

• Bay Watcher
  • pug
    • View Profile
Re: Elemental body parts
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 11:25:19 am »

Pretty sure zombie hair can't be killed either way.
pug

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 12:56:19 pm »

iirc yeah, hair as a tissue has tags that let attacks pass through to tissue layers below it, like skin. Problem with zombie hair i bet is they have no underlying tissue layers and therefore cannot be hit. You could make your elementals CANNOT_UNDEAD, and then you dont have to worry about that. Crystal hair too wont provide any protection because of the tags allowing it to be bypassed. Shouldn't be too heavy, but you can use a custom material that weighs less if you need to.

I would suspect that hair actually sits at homeotherm temperature levels while the creature is alive, and corpse parts for which the hair isnt the "main" tissue (I think its actually skin in most cases) might not get superheated either. Test it and find out.

Water or steam hair, and possibly fire hair too, might actually melt or evaporate away because theyre not solid. You could try using custom materials that make them solid while retaining the names if that becomes an issue.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

LadyCookie

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 01:36:29 pm »

I would suspect that hair actually sits at homeotherm temperature levels while the creature is alive, and corpse parts for which the hair isnt the "main" tissue (I think its actually skin in most cases) might not get superheated either. Test it and find out.

Water or steam hair, and possibly fire hair too, might actually melt or evaporate away because theyre not solid. You could try using custom materials that make them solid while retaining the names if that becomes an issue.

Thanks, I'll test it out then.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 11:02:04 am »

I'd also just recommend using "solid" materials and tissues with different names and values for elemental or ghostly creatures in general. Vanilla game materials in that regard (whether it be steam, fire or water) are very fragile and such a creature can easily be punched apart even by a dwarf baby.

LadyCookie

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 11:24:24 am »

I actually ended up just changing the in-game name of the hair tissue for each caste, so they're still vanilla hair but described and colored like "...his lava hair is red..." and such. Not very realistic, but I just wanted it for flavor.

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
  • Undead Enthusiast, at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 11:55:26 am »

I actually ended up just changing the in-game name of the hair tissue for each caste, so they're still vanilla hair but described and colored like "...his lava hair is red..." and such. Not very realistic, but I just wanted it for flavor.

If you want to keep going with that idea of them utilizing their hair offensively, you can always create an interaction for them that requires said hair.
You guys ought to fix Unknown72's turn to some point later in the order. Maybe after Sanctume. Normally that's what happens when someone fesses up to having real life going up like a storm of explosive diarrhoea blasted into a fan.

@me on Discord: Multi#0897

LadyCookie

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 12:19:47 pm »

If you want to keep going with that idea of them utilizing their hair offensively, you can always create an interaction for them that requires said hair.

Really? I didn't realize that. I'm not actively working on the Genasi race currently, but I'll keep that in mind if I get back to it.

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
  • Undead Enthusiast, at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 12:24:45 pm »

Really? I didn't realize that. I'm not actively working on the Genasi race currently, but I'll keep that in mind if I get back to it.

If you do, also keep in mind that if, for example, fire Genasi isn't fire immune, then a lava interaction will most likely set them on fire.
You guys ought to fix Unknown72's turn to some point later in the order. Maybe after Sanctume. Normally that's what happens when someone fesses up to having real life going up like a storm of explosive diarrhoea blasted into a fan.

@me on Discord: Multi#0897