Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Encryption?  (Read 681 times)

Lher

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Encryption?
« on: October 02, 2019, 03:21:22 am »

I've been to a website that didn't feel the need to use encryption, having to do with it not having commercial interest and such.
...they implemented https://letsencrypt.org

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: Encryption?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 07:48:45 am »

Not to be rude, but posting topics with vague statements and a link as a scaped lunatic is very poor form.

In case of human, careful to not get removed for spam
In a time before time, I had a name.

Lher

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 09:10:03 am »

Aren't we users in such a place knowledgeable enough. So I didn't think that it was necessary to type much.

Besides, the subject being simple and obvious, and the forum being old, I expected it to have already been discussed.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 09:22:52 am »

I'll be honest, I definitely assumed you were one of those bots with such a short liner and link. 
We tend to be cautious of escaped lunatics.  Cause ya know, bots.
We also kinda expect more fleshed out first posts around these parts.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 10:02:48 am »

That said, welcome to Bay12! Post around a bit. :3
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 11:54:44 am »

It's totally cool dude, it's just that your post carries the usual red flags and we dislike silly things hogging Toady's attention.

It would be nice to have https on the forums tough... Maybe we can ask him in the future of the fortress thread if he plans to make bay12forums.com and bay12games.com https.

It isn't too much work, but it isn't really important for the current use.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 12:17:24 pm »

I asked him a couple weeks ago about the status of HTTPS for the forums. He's aware of it, and knows that when the Steam release comes the forums are going to see a lot of new traffic. He thinks they may need to migrate to different forum software because this one is kind of a mess.

I suppose it's probably ok to share my PM with him here:

Quote from: The Great and Powerful Toady
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get it done once the villains are up and I'm working on the Steam stuff.  I've looked at the letsencrypt stuff previously - it might require a good patch of time since the current forum webhosting situation etc. is not set up to handle the certificates or whatever the problem ended up being.  So I might have to move the whole website.  But I agree it'll be important to have it in place before we have our Steam influx.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 01:08:21 pm »

That's tough.
Any webmasters in the forums? Not that it would be so easy to get toady to accept help...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 01:55:08 pm »

As a note.....if your Bay12 password is used for anything else, it's probably high time to change it. If you log in to the forums via your phone or another mobile device over an unecrypted wifi connection at like a coffee house, then it's not that difficult to sniff the traffic and pull your username/password out in plain text.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 02:13:37 pm »

As a note.....if your Bay12 anything password is used for anything else, it's probably high time to change it.
Basic internet security to be honest, even with https you wouldn't believe how many sites store password unhashed and unsalted.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2019, 06:32:48 pm »

A little tangential to the discussion, but Let's Encrypt is pretty cool.  I actually built a Linux daemon that used Let's Encrypt and interacted with Nginx to automatically generate and renew SSL certificates at work.  Then we got bought out by another company that didn't want to use it anymore, but that's neither here nor there.

It's a little surprising Toady's web hosting provider doesn't easily support HTTPS, but only a little surprising.
Through pain, I find wisdom.