Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Silly Interface Question  (Read 712 times)

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Silly Interface Question
« on: September 01, 2019, 10:13:13 am »

So, this is a dumb question; but its been a LONG time since I've played Dwarf Fortress, and as we all know, while you can get used to it, the interface isn't so much 'complex' or 'bad' as ....nonexistent.

Which is to say, I've been playing a fort for two days now and can't, for the !@#!#@@#! life of me, get the screen where it shows an individuals dwarf's skills and labors on/off to show. I can get the huge /dfhack/ list to show, but not the one toady designed. I thought I highlighted the unit and hit 'g' but that doesn't seem to be it, so I must be remember wrong. Anyone help me out? Sorry!

Thanks!

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: Silly Interface Question
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 10:55:55 am »

Assuming you're using the default key commands, you'll need to press 'v' first, which views the unit and defaults to the skill list, and 'g' if it's showing you another menu, like (h)ealth or something.

Just getting back into the game myself. Hope it goes well for you!

Dracko81

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 04:37:21 pm »

v to highlight a dwarf and then cycle through if more than one.

After highlighting p(preferences) than l(labor) to change the labors.
g shows what the dwarf has learnt - which might not include what is an active labor.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 12:28:24 am »

Besides all the other changes that can be made through the 'v' screen and sub-screens, you can also expel dwarfs from your fort, a feature you might not have seen yet, and might find useful with dwarfs that are constantly fighting and wounding others.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.