Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: QoL Suggestions Thread  (Read 769 times)

joaodosgrao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
QoL Suggestions Thread
« on: September 22, 2019, 10:32:29 am »

This is a suggestion regarding the buildup of a big QoL suggestion thread.

Please note this is a suggestion in and of itself, so feel free to disagree and/or ignore.

We should get a big QoL suggestions thread involving polls and whatnot, probably fixed, and that would involve, obviously, only suggestions related to QoL.

That is because most of the suggestions that show up regard feature additions whereas, apparently, QoL suggestions rarely show up and even more rarely stay relevant for long enough.

I will give a few QoL suggestions of my own to get started (do note that if this suggestion gets good approval, I suggest - lol - that someone who spends more time around bay12 forums to admin it, since I don't have the time necessary to keep it up to date)

> Dwarves and rain: eliminate rain bad thoughts if dwarf is using a hood and/or a coat and/or cloak. Since I like building above ground fortresses, the moment I have to build resource-intensive stuff, I get big tantrum spirals because dwarves get mad over the rain. Also, this could apply to cave adaptation. Maybe. Would like opinions.

>Zone workshops: this, imho, is very necessary. Having dwarves get angry over not being able to practice a craft for too long is a pain in the ass, and an ever greater pain is to set up a huge workshop floor for these dwarves, since it is so micromanaging intensive.

>Training / Sparring rooms: another issue, regarding dwarves that want to practice martial arts. I suggest armory rooms that could be assigned as training (a military dwarf would go there and teach civilians something regarding the military attributes) or sparring (civilians would go there and spar).
Would be great if one could assign equipment for these rooms, as in a proper armory, where the racks and stands were properly used. So, a civilian would go to the room, wear the gear, practice or spar, and once leaving, put the gear back on the racks/stands so that the next civilian that comes by could use it. That would also remove the need to have the civilians in a militia so they could train martial arts.

>Over clothing bug: since I'm on the subject, I would love to see the over clothing bug go away. Mostly regarding gauntlets and boots, since military with the over clothing activated tend to not get rid of their shoes and gloves, wearing only the other metal gear the uniform is associated with. I suggest this because I do like my militaries to use trinkets and clothing they feel comfortable with. I guess removing overlaps should help solve it (for example, if hoods are part of the uniform dwarves won't wear double hoods)

>Old/worn clothing warehouse/stockpile: have a zone or a stockpile option exclusively for worn stuff. Having one for stuff that is not originated from the fortress would be neat too - (pig tail sock), (iron mail shirt), etc - so they could be concentrated on a single stockpile - either close to a depot or an atom smasher - making hauling less of a hassle.
Would also love to have an option setting the max amount of equal clothing a dwarf can own - 1 set, 2sets, etc - that would alleviate the clothing overflow issue.
Alternatively, instead of having a stockpile, having a warehouse with cabinets or chests or whatever where dwarves would drop tattered clothes - or alien ones - again, for overall diminishing of the micromanagement.

>"Buildable" bins, barrels, etc > having the option to build containers and set their desired items the same way a stockpile is set. So a bin would become static, for example, but it would be considered a building. That would solve, for example, having cloth inside a bin: instead of having the bin become TSK, its contents become TSK. So, if more than one dwarf desires to use that bin/barrel/locker/whatever, it wouldn't generate job cancellations.

>Better traits for workshop management: I'll leave this one open for additions. One that comes to mind at the moment is having the "cloth items" trait, for example (silk items trait already exists, so why not have a generic cloth trait, right?)

>Standing instruments/stage: I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but, apparently, artists never use standing instruments. Also, you can't define which instruments go into the tavern. I don't know if it prioritizes instruments that are not repeated, but it should, and there should be a way of setting it up. Nothing gamebreaking, but would be neat to have dwarves actually stop simulating instruments. Also, being able to define a stage/dance floor in the same way burrows are defined would be neat, and could help solve the standing instruments issue - if it is one.

>Item stacking: certain items, like plants, that don't have quality modifiers, could be "stacked" through a new workshop, for example: 10 pig tails can get turned into one "Pig Tail Stack". That is 10 less items that the game would be tracking. The game would track it as a single item that, when "unstacked" becomes 10 pig tails. I think such a function could be applied to most stuff that lack quality modifiers. And I think it could improve overall fps like a boss.

That's it from the top of my head.

So, if the original suggestion is approved, QoL suggestions that got overall high approval by the community would go into a priority poll, so Toady could have a better visibility regarding what the community considers higher priority for overall gameplay improvements.

Guess that's it.
Feel free to disagree. It's just a suggestion, afterall.

Strike the Earth!

Edit1: added item stacking
Edit2: grammar
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 10:43:48 am by joaodosgrao »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: QoL Suggestions Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 06:55:41 pm »

1) Approved by who?
2) Suggestions post position in this forum is irrelevant. Toady (Threetoe) reads them all and lists them in his own database/notebook.
3) Stress is not working right now. Cloak adjustments will seem pointless when rain stops stacking up (etc).
4) Development dictates when large suggestions take place (workshop zones for example is impossible until a save breaking update like the Big Wait happens). To list it as "priority" but then have to wait several years seems a good way to just frustrate people.

Other than that, fine idea. You'll find people's definition of QOL will be much wider than you initially thought. Go ahead and set up polls etc. Please be sure to maintain it for the next 20 years, otherwise it'll go the way of the current version.

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: QoL Suggestions Thread
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 10:59:24 pm »

One thing I'd really like is a change to the display for raised bridges to something that doesn't look like unraised bridges when the bridge is 1 tile long in the direction of raising.  Maybe change the background color.  Maybe change the tile to a line of the double line tiles with no endcaps.