Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Visitors picking fights with eachother  (Read 1050 times)

TeaAndRum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Visitors picking fights with eachother
« on: August 01, 2019, 02:50:18 am »

Yeah, this has become a huge problem in every fortress I make. Whenever I make taverns or libraries, and open them to the general public, I get flooded with visitors.
Soon enough, those visitors appear to get frustrated with their stay, and the massacres start. I start to recognize certain troublemakers, yet there seems to be no way to banish them personally, unless they petition for residence. However, this problem doesn't occur with temples, probably because those get less visitors.
Then, as the public spaces start to get littered with their corpses and miasma, general level of stress skyrockets amongst the dwarves, too. Which is obviously a threat to the very existence of the fortress. So, how to keep visitors happy? Or should I just turn everyplace private?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Visitors picking fights with eachother
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 03:38:09 am »

- If you serve booze in your tavern the rate of fighting increases (unless you want to achieve that, in which case it doesn't tend to happen).
- There is no vanilla way to expel unwelcome visitors. You can only kill them.
- If you get miasma in your tavern your cleanup squads aren't effective enough. Do you have a corpse ('y') stockpile (not to be confused with a refuse stockpile's corpse subsection)? If you have the stockpile but the dorfs still aren't hauling the corpses, check that they have the burial hauling job enabled and remove select ones from their regular jobs (including other kinds of hauling) so they start the cleanup.
- Visitors can overstay and gradually go nuts, and getting their petitions rejected can cause them to snap into tantruming more or less immediately.

This DFHack script can be used to order visitors to leave.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

TeaAndRum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Visitors picking fights with eachother
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 03:15:25 am »

It's more calm now, that I stopped serving drinks. That was probably the root of it. Also thanks for the script! I'll write it down in case there are problems with them later.