Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Carve a figurine of a forgotten beast from its own horn  (Read 1719 times)

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Carve a figurine of a forgotten beast from its own horn
« on: August 05, 2019, 10:04:30 am »

I added a new task: make horn figurine, and specified the material: forgotten beast horn, the image: Ithbi Mothikul, but when the task was activated, the bonecarver canceled the task: Needs unrotten body part.

The horn(a stack of 3) is not forbidden and is accessible. What is the problem?
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Carve a figurine of a forgotten beast from its own horn
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 10:25:55 am »

Soon after posting I found out the problem!

The task was assigned to the workshop that only takes from the stone stockpile...

So the three-horned giant parrot's horn becomes a figurine that depicts the beast's devouring of Nine Deeplather the elf during one of its rampages...
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 11:51:39 am »

I like the notion of using forgotten beasts' leftover body parts that way. Very poetic, in a dwarfy sort of way.

Ooh ooh, and you could use the extra bones to carve bolts... which you then use to shoot down more forgotten beasts! Yeah! :D
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 12:09:25 pm »

its whole stack of 123 bones just disappeared. I think the bones are consumed by hamsters or two-legged lizards.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 01:57:52 pm »

its whole stack of 123 bones just disappeared. I think the bones are consumed by hamsters or two-legged lizards.

It's a good habit to pen a cat to the bone carver's resource stockpile.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 03:39:29 pm »

Strange moods use up a whole stack of bones regardless of size for each lot of bones. I don't believe vermin degrade bones to any degree.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 09:56:35 pm »

There's no artifact made of bone so far so it's not used that way and I don't produce bone craft or decorate with bone en masse. I can't find it anywhere and it wasn't dumped into magma.

I think some vermin does eat bone. Ithbi's feather also disappeared for no apparent reason.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 11:26:12 pm »

Your FB bone stack may have been put somewhere unexpected.

I do not have a bone stockpile, and when an FB was butchered, the bones and some other parts, were moved to a "hair stockpile" (which was set to only accept non -llama/alpaca/sheep hair). I would have missed this if I wasn't checking for dwarf-upsetting corpse bits. Testing followed... Dwarfs took the bones to a linked shop and made many bolts, then brought the remaining bones back to the hair stockpile.

You could check your stocks screen...
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2019, 02:10:10 am »

I believe I can explain the bones ending up in the hair stockpile...

Short version:
Procedurally generated creature parts are implicitly added to a refuse stockpile, and can only be removed by first blocking all and then adding the stuff you want (which can be rather tedious for some cases).

Long version:
Before visitors were introduced all non dwarves were hauled to the refuse stockpile rather than the corpse one. Since corpses of sapients caused fear among the dwarves and immediate flight among merchants, I separated "refuse" consisting of bits from former sapients from the other refuse into a separate stockpile, kept out of view. However, some clowns are sapient, and ended up in the refuse stockpile. Only by blocking everything and then adding the things you want you can get them to end up in the right place. I have no reason to believe that logic has changed, even when all sapients were redirected to the corpse ('y') stockpile. I think you can keep FB remains out of your hair stockpile by blocking all, enabling hair, and then disabling the hair that can be spun. With this process you won't get any FB hair in that stockpile either (it would go to any refuse stockpile that hasn't blocked all).
As an aside, it can be noted that remains of reanimated former sapients are treated as refuse (and is not scary). "Naturally" butchered bones (resulting from decay of arms and legs) from zombies can be used in crafting by dorfs, while bones from sapients can not (any longer: they could be used before the visitor introduction). Also note that zombie remains are non scary.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2019, 07:31:53 am »

Rats are a type of hateable vermin found in any area that isn't freezing. They like to consume your fortress's food, bones, and shells,
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Rat

This is where I got the impression that vermin eats bone. The stock menu doesn't list either any forgotten beast bones or feather. I also checked if any artifact uses the bone for decoration and none does. I think vermin is the only explanation.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 05:54:33 pm »

@PatrikLundell
That also explains some of the other oddities I have seen, as I have always chosen stockpiles settings based by which choices would take fewer keystrokes (to 'b'lock or not to 'b'lock...).
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

pamelrabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2019, 08:37:36 am »

The addition of pedestals some versions ago allowed at last to create a museum of Forgotten Beasts totemized skulls.

Other than that, I'm absolutely copying the idea of crafting propagandistic FB bone decorative figurines representing the Beast's own killing by the brave dwarves.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2019, 10:52:57 am »

Yes I display the figurine on a tunnel tube pedestal. The purple background color looks nice.