Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Noob in need of help "Werechamelon" lol  (Read 1204 times)

Antmf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Noob in need of help "Werechamelon" lol
« on: October 05, 2018, 04:59:03 pm »

So my expedition leader was bitten by this werebeast so I put him in a squad and sent him to a room and closed it off with a block wall... What else can I do with him or what should I do with him lol. This is my first time I had a fort this long and also with a werebeast lol. Any advice would be appreciated...

timotheos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Noob in need of help "Werechamelon" lol
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 05:38:30 pm »

Congratulations you now have an immortal dwarf who is a liability once a month.

If you want to just keep them as an insurance policy against the fort being otherwise wiped out you could just leave them in the room and forget about them.
If you want slightly more use while still keeping them as insurance get them a pick and have them mine out their own set of tunnels. Then get them crafting stuff with the rock. With all the products and any useful ore/gems being dumped down a chute or into some sort of airlock for the rest of the fort to use.

Alternatively if you want to get rid of them in a semi useful way. Create a sealed room near your forts entrance with a raised bridge as the exit. Then during the next siege wait for the dwarf to change into werechamelon form and then let them loose on the unsuspecting invaders. Worst case they are killed straight away. But they will probably kill at least a few unarmoured invaders. If you're really lucky, or if it's a small invasion they might kill everyone and survive. If they do survive lock them up again and repeat for the next invasion.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 05:54:20 pm »

You probably want to place someone else as expedition leader for diplomats.

Werebeasts get stat boosts, and any syndromes that don't kill them will be wiped with transformation, so they could try their hand at slaying mysterious fog FBs/gathering webs.

If you go the crafting route, perhaps take advantage of things on a lone wall pillar not being targeted by building destroyers. You can have mason on such a pillar by deconstructing outer 8 floors and placing ramp(s) below it. Also maybe consider minecarts jumping through a fortification to transport raw materials.

Consider producing something nice they'll put on after a full moon for happiness.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 07:46:14 pm »

I had a military dwarf survive a bite once. I exiled him to the caverns, and he built up an impressive kill list. It does mean you can't go into the caverns, but your quarantined dwarf could always extract the resources there for you.
One wheel short of a wagon

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 08:59:49 pm »

So my expedition leader was bitten by this werebeast so I put him in a squad and sent him to a room and closed it off with a block wall... What else can I do with him or what should I do with him lol. This is my first time I had a fort this long and also with a werebeast lol. Any advice would be appreciated...

NJW2000, has the best suggestion because keeping him alive with regular dwarves means more micro-management and carefully watching calendar days.  I guess you could also keep him alive outdoors inside a prison where he can shoot from a roof or be released if there's a dangerous siege. Definitely keep him separate from your main group of dwarves so he doesn't marry one of your important dwarves where you would need to micro_manage their marriage. 

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 02:13:20 am »

Werebeasts can be more useful for the healing transformation, since they can't wear armor in beast form. Put any werebeasts in a squad and arm them. Send them out in dwarf form to the caverns or wherever. Any wounds that aren't fatal are instantly healed during the full moon.

You can order them into a sealed room while they're dwarves, assuming they're still sane. No real reason your regular dwarves need to access the cavern, though, since the were-squad can do most things and send items via minecart. (Mainly corpses, since you don't want to be rebuilding the butcher's shop all the time.)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Malmensa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 02:56:21 am »

Werebeasts can also be locked in a small room with a table, and assigned Bookkeeper role. They do not need food or booze, and can somehow manage to keep inventories up to date from within their little cell.