Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caravan from mountainhome... melted?  (Read 1333 times)

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
Caravan from mountainhome... melted?
« on: July 03, 2019, 12:12:00 pm »

A caravan from my mountainhome arrived (same embark mentioned in Note to Urist and Dwarven "diet"), but soon after the following happened, not necessarily in order:
1. They didn't go to the trade depot.
2. Two wagons and some livestock appeared in the "Dead/Missing" list.
3. Two yak bulls appeared in the "Pets/Livestock" list, listed as "Tame (Caged)".
I can only guess that the pack/wagon pulling animals melted, the wagons were destroyed, and the merchants freaked out and left... this could be fun indeed. On the plus side, I did get all their goods. The previous season, a human maceman melted - he/she was part of a human caravan. THe rest of the caravan did just fine.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
Re: Caravan from mountainhome... melted?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 01:01:04 pm »

Wagons are notoriously suicidal. They scuttle themselves the moment their drivers get distracted by something, whether it's a dead body by the side of the road or a dead body attacking them.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 01:04:27 pm »

Wait really? And I never knew. Well, embarking in two scorching evil areas has its hazards. (The biome my embark is mostly in is not "raising", but the other one is. The only undead I've seen has been weasels, one at a time. Oh, and the savagery is high - "Terrifying". Which is why I've seen both a flock of giant wrens and a flock of giant parakeets at different times, fortunately not undead.)
Also, might the distraction be the wagon pullers melting? That seems to have occurred.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 02:48:42 pm »

Wagons depend on their animals for existence-- if the pack animals pulling a wagon become spooked for whatever reason (or spontaneously melt), the wagon will scuttle. Your pack animals probably just kinda puddled away, the wagons disintegrating behind them...
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 05:09:32 pm »

Extreme temperatures can cause the fat of creatures to melt, resulting in bleeding that's usually fatal (survival is supposed to make the victim fire proof, though). In the embark where I've seen that, this happened only when it rained, while creature out of the rain survived. However, caged animals seem to be able to actually leave a puddle of melted fat on the ground as they die inside their cages, even if the caravan itself doesn't suffer any casualties (because it didn't rain). In that reanimating biome the dead caged animals were reanimated OUTSIDE of the cages well after the caravan had pulled in to the trade depot, with predictable results...

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 12:38:41 am »

Extreme temperatures can cause the fat of creatures to melt, resulting in bleeding that's usually fatal (survival is supposed to make the victim fire proof, though). In the embark where I've seen that, this happened only when it rained, while creature out of the rain survived. However, caged animals seem to be able to actually leave a puddle of melted fat on the ground as they die inside their cages, even if the caravan itself doesn't suffer any casualties (because it didn't rain). In that reanimating biome the dead caged animals were reanimated OUTSIDE of the cages well after the caravan had pulled in to the trade depot, with predictable results...

So does surviving rot disease give similar benefits, or just results in sterile deadpool scarred dwarves?
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."