Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Aira's Dwarf Fortress Mini-Tuts  (Read 2494 times)

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
Re: Aira's Dwarf Fortress Mini-Tuts
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2019, 11:10:48 am »

Yikes that sucks. Here in Canada we had a nasty heatwave last year. I understand if you cant make the tutorials!
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2019, 06:20:59 am »

Well hey good news at last! Episode 3 is out, How to Read the Embark Screen. This one was pretty complicated to make so it took longer than expected. Hopefully the next ones will be a bit simpler.

slaintemaith

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2019, 09:46:09 am »

I'm waiting for "How to automate things and not have to micro-manage your universe."  =)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2019, 10:51:11 am »

I think you're looking for a different game. :P

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2019, 10:28:29 am »

Huzzah! The next Tut is ready. It's about the various ways to look around the screen and get your bearings.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2019, 04:34:20 pm »

Ah, I see what you mean. Yes, that's a good idea for something to add to the list. I definitely set to audosave seasonally (and backup), and that's not something a new player would know about. Actually, the entire init and d_init files should be covered, but hoo boy, that's not a small thing! Maybe I should break them into small pieces instead of trying to tackle the whole files all at once.
Tangentially related to the new video - since Dwarf Fortress is so visually busy, I always set [VARIED_GROUND_TILES:NO] and, of course [ENGRAVINGS_START_OBSCURED:YES] to reduce the visual clutter. (I believe there's still the problem that this causes grasses like bamboo to also display as '.', but I feel that's a small price to pay.) I feel knowing about those two init options would be helpful to new players overwhelmed by the Ascii tiles.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2019, 02:54:31 am »

I will eventually do an episode on the INIT files which will include that. I suppose I should do it soon... I didn't want to encourage people to do that right at the start, because once you turn off varied ground tiles, you get used to that and will never understand the original tiles (which I think look far nicer and sometimes provide more information about the tiles - and once you spend an hour or so with varied ground most people get used to it). But on the other hand, I'm very much all about accessibility, and I'm sure some people have legitimate reasons to prefer the unvaried ones, so I will certainly mention them when I finally get to the INIT files (I'll move them up the list a bit, since they are so important). And feel free to leave a comment on the video pointing out this option, so other viewers might see it. It helps my channel a bit as well when people leave comments. :)

The next two planned episodes are the status window (just a basic overview - this one is partially done) and the concept of jobs and labors (a much longer once since I explain what every labor does - this one is written but no recording has been done). Maybe I'll stick the INIT overview after that, or maybe even in between them, since after the jobs/labors one I plan to finally show how to do some specific things in game (building workshops, building furniture, setting up farms, etc.).
Pages: 1 [2]