Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Do dwarves forge friendships again yet?  (Read 2316 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Do dwarves forge friendships again yet?
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2019, 02:44:55 am »

Not as such, no. Feel free to create one.

gui/gm-editor df.historical_figure.find(unit's historical figure id).info.relationships.list should let you get started, though it is kind of obtuse for regular users.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2019, 04:17:31 am »

And there's always the vanilla fallback of viewing the relations of them one at a time through the relations sub view of the unit.

A problem with creating a fortress wide overview is to decide how to display it, i.e. what is it you actually care about in the info? Listing every pair of relations is probably not particularly useful as it would just be a list of relations, so it would have to be filtered in some what that makes the results useful.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2019, 12:26:28 pm »

You could simply make announcements whenever someone makes a new friend, for example. I don't expect it to be particularly common, so it shouldn't be spammy.

Displaying whole fortress...Could be handled by passing the data to a graph program, but to avoid that or a plugin, my first thought is that you'd need to make a graphics set for nonexistent creatures called "straight line", "curved line", "overlapping line", an so on, and then represent individual dwarves as 1 of codepage symbols (that you can mouseover for full name)+profession colour, and even then I at some point I think you would be unable to display all citizens' interconnections at some point (for example, consider 12 friendships in default the 12x8 tileset)

qualiyah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2019, 11:53:58 am »

In a fortress of 130, I set my taverns to consist in two 2x8 strips. Each strip covers a row of 8 chairs designated as part of the dining room, and the row of 8 spaces behind those chairs. (So the tables weren't part of the tavern, though obviously the dwarves sitting in the chairs to eat were using the tables to eat on.) Most of the dwarves who get a decent amount of time off have formed a few friendships spontaneously while hanging out in these taverns, so this system works.

Note that you don't have to make the tavern room tiny and cramped to do this. You can make the dining room as big and beautiful as you like, and then make the tavern zones only cover a small part of the room. Admittedly, my dwarves can't do any dance other than a line dance, because they don't have a big open tavern floor for dances. But other than that, the room looks nice, and it just looks like the dwarves are congregating naturally around the tables.
Pages: 1 [2]