Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What'd you think of the final ending (the Coda)?

I liked it
I didn't like it
I followed King's warning and didn't read it
I'm ambivalent

Author Topic: The Dark Tower thread  (Read 1254 times)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
The Dark Tower thread
« on: July 24, 2019, 03:53:16 pm »

This thread is for any sort of discussion about Stephen King's Dark Tower series. May it do ya fine.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 03:55:25 pm by Eschar »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Tower thread
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 04:11:08 pm »

I'm on Wolves atm, almost halfway trough it. Loving this shit so far and I'm devouring it faster than new books can arrive for the most part. Tho I did struggle a bit to finish Wizard and glass for certain plot related reasons, not because it was bad, but because it managed to get me too invested, despite the warnings.

Anyways, not much I'm gonna say here until I finish the whole series, so see you guys in a couple of months probably, if my free time allows :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 04:23:44 pm »

I was enjoying it up until it got awkwardly sexual.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 05:38:49 pm »

Gizona beltza desertuatik ibili zen eta pistolaria jarraitzen zuen
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 05:54:23 pm »

Yeah, and I especially didn't enjoy any scene involving Rhea.

Gizona beltza desertuatik ibili zen eta pistolaria jarraitzen zuen

Funnily, Google translates that with the MIB following Roland.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 06:31:58 pm »

I probably botched it. I wasnt exactly a pro to begin and I'm very very rusty 🤣🤣
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 06:53:00 am »

Books: Loved them.  I think starting at The Wastelands, I read each new book in a single sitting when they came out.  The Coda - controversial yes, but not surprising given the meta-narrative in the work. So I guess I'm in the 'ambivalent' category there.

Movie: holy crap it needed to be at least twice as long. I don't even know who approved that thing.  I mean unless you read the books, there was absolutely no way you would be able to understand that movie.  I like Mr Elba and Mr McConaughey well enough in their roles, but there was just not enough time in that screenplay to truly develop the massive world.  If ever there was a book series needing 6 3-hour movies, it is the Dark Tower.  Instead it got not even 2 hours...

WARNING: REAL SPOILER DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED THE BOOKS INCLUDING THE CODA.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2019, 04:56:21 pm »

Things getting wierdly sexual is kind of S.K. thing tho? Like, the Rhea stuff was unsettling but I thought it was somehow the point? Unless it gets worse later on?

Also yeah, the movie was sadly a disaster, like, the opposite of what happened to the Hobbit. Pretty much every book is atleast a movie, if not more in certain cases. Then again, not many of his books had good adaptations over the years. That said there is some talk about a series covering the tale from Wizard and Glass so that might be good. Hell, cutting the whole thing into a number of series since most books are fairly different in their themes/settings could work as far as faithful adaptations go.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2019, 03:52:28 pm »

I think a TV series with about one season per book could work well. Hey, the transition from Waste Lands to Wizard and Glass even has an end-of-season cliffhanger built in!

Also:
Quote from: The Dead Zone
She took a small apartment on Flagg Street...

...dammit Stephen!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 03:54:46 pm by Eschar »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2019, 03:38:57 pm »

You mean like one of the first chapters in the Gunslinger? Where a massively overweight with thighs like pearly slabs tries to have intercourse with Roland :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2019, 06:31:06 pm »

You mean like one of the first chapters in the Gunslinger? Where a massively overweight with thighs like pearly slabs tries to have intercourse with Roland :P

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

I think by Rhea I felt like I had too good of a view into SK’s kink. It just read awkward and tawdry. I know what he was going for, but (in an audio book no less) it came across like sleazy fan fiction.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2019, 08:26:54 pm »

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

I think by Rhea I felt like I had too good of a view into SK’s kink. It just read awkward and tawdry. I know what he was going for, but (in an audio book no less) it came across like sleazy fan fiction.

Yes. On the one hand, it was sort of fitting for Thea's character: weird old woman who checks Hambry's women's virginity. On the other hand, I felt that some of it was unnecessary/gratituous.

Well, there's a reason SK's work shows up in r/menwritingwomen often.

Huh, in The Dark Half I noticed an interesting phrase: "Endsville, where all rail service terminates." Similar name to End-world, and didn't Blaine have a track running there? I know he had monitoring equipment as of at least 800 years ago, but I'm not sure about a track. If so, this could be a DT reference.

EDIT: if I'm wrong, no Dark Half spoilers please.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 08:37:53 pm by Eschar »