Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]

Author Topic: POKÉMON FUSION LEAGUE! - The league has over and the winner has been announced!  (Read 17965 times)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: POKÉMON FUSION LEAGUE! - The thirteenth battle has been decided!
« Reply #225 on: June 06, 2019, 08:07:45 am »

Oh, thanks for the reminder. Sell Pikachu and Doduo, include money gained in my bet.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: POKÉMON FUSION LEAGUE! - The twelth bout has been decided! - Slot Open
« Reply #226 on: June 06, 2019, 09:42:55 am »

BATTLE FOURTEEN
Cool Trainer ♂William -- Fusion Ace ♀ Accel
Alaking --  Genfable
VS

It's the battle everyone had been waiting for. A battle of the sexes. A battle of Cool vs Ace. The trainers brought out their Pokefusions: William with his might Alaking, itching for a win; Accel with her sinister Genfable.

"Get in their head, Curse them!" Accel cries.

Alaking uses psychic to whip up the ground if the arena, creating a chaotic field with projectiles slamming against Genfable.

Alaking's Psychic vs Ground: 1 -1 (evolved defense) +2 (evolved attack) = 2
Genfable's Ghost vs Poison-Ground: 4 +2 (evolved attack) -2 (evolved defense) = 4

Alaking runs at Genfable with a Zen headbutt but, like a ghost, Genfable fades from view and then hits Alaking with a wave of debilitating confusion!

Fusion Ace ♀ Accel is victorious!

Fusion Ace ♀ Accel: +$100
Cool Trainer ♂William: +$50

Gambling Payouts
None.

Fusion Ace ♀ Accel is now at 3/5 ($100 winning bet = $150)
Cool Trainer ♂William is now at 4/3 ($100 winning bet = $233)

Fan Roll
Fusion Ace ♀ Accel: 4,  = +4 fans!
Cool Trainer ♂William: 5 -3 (losing), +1 (great battle) = +3 fans!

The league table has been updated.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 06, 2019, 10:07:46 am »

It's just hector13 and Smoke Mirrors left-- if either would like to spend some of their winnings or declare an attack, they are welcome to.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 06, 2019, 10:36:53 am »

I believe John already declared an attack, if not a very wordy one:
Rolling kick.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: POKÉMON FUSION LEAGUE! - The fourteenth battle has been decided!
« Reply #229 on: June 06, 2019, 10:51:32 am »

Ah true. A missed opportunity! I suppose it's just Cool Trainer ♂William, who as has been pointed out, is mechanically certain to win the last bout. If Smoke Mirrors would like to describe his attack (for that sweet +1 fan) then I'll process it as soon as I can.

Just a reminder to all: any remaining cash will be transformed into fans at the end of the game. If anyone would like to make any final bets, now's the time to do it.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: POKÉMON FUSION LEAGUE! - The fourteenth battle has been decided!
« Reply #230 on: June 06, 2019, 03:19:05 pm »

I’ll be doing some rolling kick.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: POKÉMON FUSION LEAGUE! - The twelth bout has been decided! - Slot Open
« Reply #231 on: June 11, 2019, 03:33:47 am »

BATTLE FIFTEEN
Cool Trainer ♂William -- Sullen John
Alaking --  Mafing
VS

While the other contestants were packing up, and the last few fans were idling in the stalls, the final battle commenced. The mighty, maximally evolved Alaking, and the rare punching puffpall Mafing.

"Rolling kick," Sullen John grunted at his Pokefusion. The poor Mafing looked across at the Alaking, charging up his psybeams, and then stared balefully up at its owner.

"Fing?" he said, facing up to his terrible fate.

"ALAKING!!!!" cried the Alaking as the stadium was rocked with intense psychic emanations. Cool Trainer William stared on impassively.

Alaking's Psychic vs Poison: 4 (x2 poison weakness) = 8 +2 (evolved attack) = 10
Mafing's Fight vs Poison-Ground: 4 (x.5 poison strength) = 2 -2 (evolved defense) = 0

Mafing bravely begins to roll towards Alaking, before being blasted by the psychic waves, deflating miserably.

Cool Trainer ♂William

Cool Trainer ♂William: +$100
Sullen John: +$50

Gambling Payouts
Cool Trainer ♂William is at 4/3:
Gentleman Jacques: -$203, +$474

Fan Roll
Sullen John: 2 +1 (rare pokemon) -3 (losing) = +0 fans!
Cool Trainer ♂William: 4 = +4 fans!

The league table has been updated.

Processing the end of the league now!

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: POKÉMON FUSION LEAGUE! - The battles commence!
« Reply #232 on: June 11, 2019, 03:52:46 am »

THE POKÉMON FUSION LEAGUE HAS FINISHED!

Full League Table Rankings

The trainers assemble at the podium, weary from battling. Eager to see who was the very best, like no one ever was? Their managerial teams have splashed out on merchandise and parties and the crowd is thronged with fans flying flags and wearing scarves for their favoured competitors.

AUTO-MERCH

Fusion Ace ♀ Accel -$363 +7 fans
PokéManiac Leo -$100 +2 fans
Sullen John -$250 +5 fans
Gentleman Jacques -$450 +9 fans
Cool Trainer ♂William -$250 +5 fans

RESULTS

In sixth and last place with 0 wins and 12 fans is...

Sullen John, understandably downbeat!

In fifth place with 2 wins and 15 fans is...

Cool Trainer ♂William, putting on a brave face!

In fourth place with 3 wins and 22 fans is...

Fusion Ace ♀ Accel! Her fans are loud, but others were louder!

In third place with 3 wins and 26 fans is...

PokéManiac Leo, stomping up a storm!

In second place with 3 wins and 45 fans is...

The absolute fan favourite, Gentleman Jacques!

And in first place with 4 wins and 21 fans is...

The ultimate pokefusion champion, Bug Catcher Dan!

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Some feedback:

Early matches are more random, as players don't have the money to strategize. As all non-grudge matches are worth the same in the end, a lot seems to weigh on matches where player agency is low. I'm not sure to fix it, though notably the Evolver and Versatile traits give a massive advantage in the early game.

Gambling odds based on past performance is odd in such a short league. I would suggest applying the matchup-based mathematical odds to them as well. A payout of 133% is equally absurd on either side if the matchup is 35:1, i.e. one side only winning if they roll a 6 and the opponent a 1.

Rare pokémon only pay themselves back if used at least four times. As a player probably only has money for them later in the game, this makes them inefficient unless there are a lot of players or a lot of grudge matches. This makes them, and therefore the Elite trait, dependent on player count. The Fan Favourite trait gives the effect of rare pokémon without the cost. Both of these traits also encourage playing more grudge matches, and also might encourage others not to accept them.

Pokémon only have three traits: type, rarity, and evolution count. As the last of these makes some pokémon far more useful in the late game, some pokémon become disappointing to receive due to the random aspect of purchases. This also balances actual matchups towards common pokémon; only one common pokémon (Onix) doesn't evolve, and only one rare (Dratini) evolves twice, and more than half of the rares don't evolve.

To not make the matchup an arms race of modifying fusions (where the Versatile trait can defeat anyone), there should be a more clear and strict order of actions in a challenge, i.e. clear rules on when you can or cannot modify your pokéfusions. This should favour neither the challenger or the challenged.

There is really no reason to buy promotion before the end, as fans give no advantage until the final ranking.

Overall, I think the game would benefit from a larger player count, even if it brings the problem of exponentially growing match count and player engagement possibly dropping. A possible solution to this could be to have each pair of players play to best-out-of-three rather than just a single round robin. This would reduce the impact of the more random early matches and grow the match count only linearly.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

That's some great feedback there. I did love that the dual bug type player managed to win, but partly that was because they were able to get a runaway advantage capitalising on their first win. Some things I'd consider doing differently if/when I run it again:

- Fixed battle order- players know who'll they'll face ahead of time and can strategize
- Stricter phase orders so players don't dance off on fusing and unfusing the 'mons endlessly before a battle.
- Rather than a pure random pool of pokemon to buy from, a pool of six pokemon at a time that can be bought. That way players can have a bit of strategy in their purchasing, while still maintaining the random element.
- Having the primary pokemon be defence and the secondary attack instead: this is mostly aesthetics, but a fusion with wings should be able to fly etc.
- An extra layer of strategy (TMs? battle stances? I'll have to think) so it's not just types and evolution and the random roll that determines things- to open up more paths to victory.

Some things I thought worked OK:

- Giving the extra fan for players who wrote out a detailed attack made it more engaging for me to write up the posts, and gave a small mechanical incentive to be creative
- Betting smartly was a great strategy, but it didn't ensure a win in itself. This felt about right.
- Players tried different strategies: evolving one fusion to the max vs buying more pokemon.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I admit abusing a little the fusion mechanics to gain type advantage depending of the situation, and I apologize if anyone felt it was unfair or cheating. I alsonagree that there should be more matches and stricter phases for shopping and combat.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

I think your fusing was well within the spirit of the game-- type advantage is the main way to try to get a win. A clearer phase ordering would give both fighters the chance to swap around without it being unfair to anyone.

Some other ideas I considered, but not sure about:
- everyone battling everyone else twice, but no grudge matches
- items that gave battle advantage or allowed a quick swap around of the pokefusion. - maybe each fusion could have a held item?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]