Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Candy Kingdom  (Read 1139 times)

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Candy Kingdom
« on: May 07, 2019, 08:28:08 am »

I have been throwing around an idea for a mod, but would like to know if some aspects of it are even possible before diving in. So, my idea is a new civilization that has multiple different types of candy people creatures (gumballs, gum drops, candy corn, lemon drops, sour candy, jellybeans, etc.). These candy people are made of candy (body tissue) instead of flesh, blood and bones and drop their respective type of candy when they die.

Is it possible to make the candy material they drop on death useable for buildings? Is it possible to restrict candy people to only use this building material? Is it possible to have candy civilizations only use this building material during world gen?

I have also been throwing around the idea of using the specific_food tag instead of no_eat. Could the specific food be restricted to these same candy materials?

Basically a civilization of pleasant candy people that eat the flesh of their fellow brethren and use their corpses to build walls.

I guess I could add candy livestock if I wanted to ruin the ˇfun!

These are some ideas I had for the civilization:
  • Very high fertility
  • Very large litters
  • No gender
  • Candy material (dropped from candy people) can be processed into large quantities of candy blocks?
  • Melt in high temperatures?
  • Very weak physically
  • Very fragile bodies
  • Do not require drink
  • Can't build or craft with stone, wood or metal
  • Cannibalism
  • Only build and craft using candy materials?
  • Immune to disease, inflictions, vampirism and were curses?

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
Re: The Candy Kingdom
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 11:22:11 pm »

I like the idea.

First question, its complicated. youd have to make them drop the proper material in its natural form, whether you want candy to be wood, stone, or metal. It is not possible to restrict said material though. Meaning exclusive usage of candy isnt possible.

Second, the material itself wouldnt be edible, sadly. The game just doesnt work with that.

Perhaps make them work off of good biomes, and replace said good biomes goodness with candy, so they can have ready access to candy wood without giving everyone else the same. Candy stones and metals, however, will not be able to be restricted in any way, since generation doesnt support biome exclusivity for inorganic materials.

Immunity to disease and the likes is possible, though! Same with melting.

Overall, a fun idea

No gender means the race cannot make children. I've got around that when making my own races by making rare castes that work to produce more of them.
My (long abandoned) mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 06:13:32 am »

Thanks :) good idea with using the good biome. I will probably go with that. I could probably set the candy tree frequency high enough to take over the biome so that I dont have to mess with the vanilla raws. Is it possible to make candy people so weak and candy wood so light that the candy people have to use it and literally cant pick up other items?

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 07:32:16 am »

that would cause a lot of !!fun!! but go ahead
My (long abandoned) mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 08:55:33 am »

I could also have each type of candy person in the civilization have different physical and mental attributes. So gumball people could be strong enough to pick up any item but popsicle people couldnt, etc. May add a bit of strategic gameplay depending on who you have available in your fort

Wyrdean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 04:49:30 pm »

I have been throwing around an idea for a mod, but would like to know if some aspects of it are even possible before diving in. So, my idea is a new civilization that has multiple different types of candy people creatures (gumballs, gum drops, candy corn, lemon drops, sour candy, jellybeans, etc.). These candy people are made of candy (body tissue) instead of flesh, blood and bones and drop their respective type of candy when they die.

Is it possible to make the candy material they drop on death useable for buildings? Is it possible to restrict candy people to only use this building material? Is it possible to have candy civilizations only use this building material during world gen?

I have also been throwing around the idea of using the specific_food tag instead of no_eat. Could the specific food be restricted to these same candy materials?

Basically a civilization of pleasant candy people that eat the flesh of their fellow brethren and use their corpses to build walls.

I guess I could add candy livestock if I wanted to ruin the ˇfun!

These are some ideas I had for the civilization:
  • Very high fertility
  • Very large litters
  • No gender
  • Candy material (dropped from candy people) can be processed into large quantities of candy blocks?
  • Melt in high temperatures?
  • Very weak physically
  • Very fragile bodies
  • Do not require drink
  • Can't build or craft with stone, wood or metal
  • Cannibalism
  • Only build and craft using candy materials?
  • Immune to disease, inflictions, vampirism and were curses?

Q1. It's quite easy to make a create drop a building material upon death. If you wished you could make it so every dwarf upon dying drops several thousand stone blocks.
Q2. No, it is not possible to restrict it so that they can only build buildings out of this material. It's possible that you could make copies of every workshop and make it so that they can only be built out of your candy blocks though.
Q3. As far as I know, it is not possible to force them to only build out of the material unless you only allow them access to that material via no other materials existing.
Q4. I'm not certain about the specific food tag, but, I think that you cannot make walls out of food. This might be circumvented by making them drop candy which is set to be their food, which could then be made into candy bricks which could then be built into walls.
Q5. No gender means that they cannot naturally breed. Might be able to be circumvented by allowing them to turn a candy corpse into a living candy creature via a necromancy-esc interaction.
Q6. (Skipped some due to time.) Immunity to disease is quite possible.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 07:26:48 pm »

Does the type of stones that appear in a biome get defined in the biome raw or the stone raw? As in, if I make a "candy stone" is there a token to put in that stone to have appear in a certain biome and how frequently it appears? What file is that in?

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2019, 07:51:30 pm »

The inorganic files list environments that they appear in