Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Civilization without a king?  (Read 1957 times)

Paralyzoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Civilization without a king?
« on: April 26, 2019, 08:28:26 pm »

I noticed a while back that the [c,c]ivilizations screen didn't show a king for my civilization, but didn't think much of it at the time. Now, however, my fortress has become the mountainhome; even though the standard group of emotionless soldiers and outpost liason showed up, there wasn't any monarch. Is this a bug? If not, is there anything I can do about it?
He felt aroused after seeing the goblin Ramkal Drunkensiege's dead body.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization without a king?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 09:26:55 pm »

I noticed a while back that the [c,c]ivilizations screen didn't show a king for my civilization, but didn't think much of it at the time. Now, however, my fortress has become the mountainhome; even though the standard group of emotionless soldiers and outpost liason showed up, there wasn't any monarch. Is this a bug? If not, is there anything I can do about it?
Check Legends to see where your king is at (or what happened).

Paralyzoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 10:10:39 pm »

Check Legends to see where your king is at (or what happened).
How do I tell who my king is?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 10:39:40 pm »

Well, you could scroll through the list of events for your civ, and find what happened to your king, but that might take a while.
Or you could export Legends and use a util like Legends Viewer. That would be much faster.

You have to retire first to get into Legends mode, so you'll want to make a copy of your save folder to restore it later.
Dfhack might be able to bypass doing that, not sure.

Paralyzoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 12:04:57 am »

DFhack has an open-legends thing that lets you view legends mode, but I don't know if it's compatible with legends viewer...
Anyway, I found out who the king was by remembering that my mayor likes statues which I always dedicate to the civilization, and it turns out one of them showed the king being made king.

The king seems perfectly normal; born in 94, settled in two fortresses, became peddler then king, offered a priceless heirloom, got married. The only two notable things are that:
1) in 158, he became obsessed with his own mortality.
2) in 250 (the year worldgen ended), he settled in another fortress.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 12:41:31 am »

250 - 94 = 156.  That's pretty close to the max age for a dwarf.  My guess is he died of old age and that you are about to get a new king.

Paralyzoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 01:46:23 am »

250 - 94 = 156.  That's pretty close to the max age for a dwarf.  My guess is he died of old age and that you are about to get a new king.
Legends mode doesn't say he died.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 09:37:52 pm »

Legends mode is often late.  You can demonstrate this in adventure mode.  Go out adventuring.  Get a companion.  Get them killed. Surrender to starvation.  Legends mode does not list the companion as dead. After a while (sometimes it takes years), they will be listed as killed (with the correct date).  I have no idea why this is.  I suspect it's a kind of Heisenburg uncertainty.  The dwarf is in a state of where they are neither dead nor alive until someone observes them.

Paralyzoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2019, 10:34:36 pm »

Update: I copied the world, made an adventurer, and journeyed to the last known position of the king. He's alive and well.

Further update: I exterminated all life in that fortress and retired my adventurer, then unretired my old fort. Still no king.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 08:21:56 pm »

Update: I copied the world, made an adventurer, and journeyed to the last known position of the king. He's alive and well.

Further update: I exterminated all life in that fortress and retired my adventurer, then unretired my old fort. Still no king.

You killed the king, then wonder why there is no king?  Ok

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2019, 08:05:54 am »

You killed the king, then wonder why there is no king?  Ok
It's not quite as stupid as it would seem at first. The current monarch logic is that a new monarch is appointed shortly after the old one dies, although for "struggling" civs that started with a dead monarch it can take up to two years (there's one message about "after a polite discussion..." normally when a monarch is appointed among the fortress citizens, and a different one when it delays until the turn of the second year). Thus, killing the monarch OUGHT to result in the more or less immediate appointment of a new one.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2019, 09:23:47 am »

oh. Okay. I don't know why it wouldn't be happening, maybe there is someone ruling over that lives in a different city in the civilization?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2019, 01:47:44 pm »

The monarch should show up on the civ (sub)screen regardless of its whereabouts once appointed, so something is off in this case.

A possibility (pure guess, no data) is that reclaiming a fortress more or less immediately after killing the monarch in adventure mode might put the civ in the state it is in when you embark as a "struggling" civ without a monarch, i.e. it taking up to two years to appoint a new one.