Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Labor cannot be changed for non-citizens." Dwarves left faction?  (Read 2043 times)

thorium1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've had two members of my fortress leave my faction without warning, I've never had somebody leave the fortress before and this is also my first game so I'm not sure if this is supposed to happen. Unsurprisingly I have quite some difficulties especially considering happiness but that's a story for another time. Here is sortof an overview from my problem: https://imgur.com/a/Al3VqS4

I was able to modify at least "Tirist" his labors earlier else I would've noticed it sooner. They somehow left my faction, I cannot change their labors but they continue to live within my fortress most likely due to their spouses. Now they are quite some troublemakers considering they are both fisherdwarfs and I have to manually unassign their jobs before they continue to work their way endlessly with tantrums and eventually insanity.

I cannot either edit it in Dwarf Therapist program nor the in game labors preferences. Is there any way I can perhaps use DFhack or something to fix this situation?

I'm using PyLNP 0.13b - Lazy Newb Pack Python Edition. So far I've fixed every issue with the wiki and google but I've found no solution to this except https://github.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist/issues/287 which is for an older version. Also I have no idea what "Build from HEAD" means.

Cheers!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Labor cannot be changed for non-citizens." Dwarves left faction?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 05:59:35 pm »

Did you happen to exile anyone recently?
Exiles will take their entire families with them, they all get immediately demoted to non-citizen status.

Then if they can't get out they tend to go insane.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 07:50:01 am »

It's been reported labors can't be changed while dorfs are subject to (temporary) insanity, such as tantruming, stumbling obliviously, etc, although I haven't seen it myself.

There's a bug causing spies for your faction who were working under an alias when drafted to migrate to your fortress to retain the alias. Apart from some confusion, it's believed to be harmless.

"Build from HEAD" is github terminology for compiling the code from the latest version of the main branch (=variant/version) of the code.

thorium1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 04:19:24 pm »

I don't even know how to exile dwarfs but I believe PatrikLundell might be right One is currently stumbling obviously which I thought was just an indicator of a possible tantrum, but the fact is that tantrum is just one of the many emotional breakdowns. The reason I haven't experienced it yet is because I've been working my dwarfs to death and just relieve the stressed once except I read a suggestion somewhere to put them in a barrow which did not go according to plan at all.

Long story short, two dead dwarves in the dining area due to a grudge and a few fists flying around and I currently have a tantrum crisis. I heard that partying was something bad and should be avoided but there has been no party in my fortress yet and people are just barely finding reasons to live,y'know, the way dwarfs were meant to live.

Cheers for the help!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 05:28:29 pm »

Partying doesn't happen anymore, as it was phased out when the needs system was changed.

thorium1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 09:55:56 am »

A little update:

The situation continues to exsist, only these specific dwarves are unable to be modified in the labor department apart from children.

I managed to create a temporary solution:
1. when the game is loading refresh Dwarf Therapist.
2. Keep the game paused and the dwarves labor were able to be modified in Dwarf Therapist.
3. The changes are kept yet upon refreshing Dwarf Therapist after unpausing shows them unable to be modified once again.

I noticed I can change the labors of dwarves throwing tantrums, it's still just these two specific dwarves that are unable regardless of a tantrum happening. The problem persists.

EDIT: I've found a dfhack command named "Tweak Makeown" that might be able to help. says they petition after a while to join so will keep it updated.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 11:22:25 am by thorium1 »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 11:14:11 am »

It sounds like something from dwarf therapist, try playing without it. I don't use Dwarf Therapist or DF Hack and I havn't had a problem with this

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 11:45:25 am »

I doubt it's an issue with either DT or DFHack. I use both, but don't know of any bugs of this type. If anything, DT provides more labor control than vanilla (e.g. on Gremlin citizens).

thorium1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 01:44:07 pm »

One of the dwarves in question has petitioned to join my fortress as a citizen and as I accept I can now change things once again. Tweak Makeown worked after 3 weeks in game time.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 09:07:56 pm »

One of the dwarves in question has petitioned to join my fortress as a citizen and as I accept I can now change things once again. Tweak Makeown worked after 3 weeks in game time.
So, it's a citizen who arrived in a regular migrant wave, mysteriously became a visitor who then petetioned to join the fortress? Are you sure you didn't exile anyone? How about squad missions? They're still pretty weird.

thorium1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 06:37:01 pm »

So, it's a citizen who arrived in a regular migrant wave, mysteriously became a visitor who then petetioned to join the fortress? Are you sure you didn't exile anyone? How about squad missions? They're still pretty weird.

He petitioned my fortress as a result of the DFHack "Tweak Makeown" command. Still no clue what caused it but at least it's resolved due to the workaround.