Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: summon creatures?  (Read 1603 times)

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
summon creatures?
« on: May 13, 2019, 12:42:01 pm »

Is there a way to have dwarves or monsters summon a creature? Through a reaction or interaction or otherwise?

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: summon creatures?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 12:49:18 pm »

Only with DFHack

Mediterraneo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 04:55:24 pm »

Which mods have a good summon reaction or interaction to learn from?
I get it will need dfhack.
I don't do much modding, but when I do you can use anything I did for Dwarf Fortress in any non-commercial project. Let me know if you did, you'll make me happy!

Rhenaya's Drow mod forum page

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 01:31:26 am »

Only with DFHack
Can DFHack features work in worldgen?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 05:31:25 am »

Only with DFHack
Probably not.

Also: you can make a fake summoning by pairing an animation interaction with a transformation. But obviously you need a corpse.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 05:51:06 am »

Only with DFHack
Probably not.

Also: you can make a fake summoning by pairing an animation interaction with a transformation. But obviously you need a corpse.

Awesome. Thanks for this. I may use this. Could this be made into a reaction at a workshop? (Dwarf sacrifices another dward or uses corpse at an altar to summon a dark creature)?

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 08:17:05 am »

Which mods have a good summon reaction or interaction to learn from?
I get it will need dfhack.
Masterwork has some summoning reactions iirc (I think you can make golems), but it's been awhile since I've looked at it

Unfortunately no

Awesome. Thanks for this. I may use this. Could this be made into a reaction at a workshop? (Dwarf sacrifices another dward or uses corpse at an altar to summon a dark creature)?
To reliably do it you need DFHack, but there is the boiling rock syndrome method in which your reaction creates a rock which immediately boils away and has a syndrome attached to give the needed animation/transformation interaction. Problems with this method are; they might not use the interaction, they might not get the syndrome, all nearby units could get the syndrome, boiling rock can deal "damage" to buildings, and probably others that I can't think of at the moment. But it's the closest you can get to summoning without DFHack.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 08:41:14 am »

To reliably do it you need DFHack, but there is the boiling rock syndrome method in which your reaction creates a rock which immediately boils away and has a syndrome attached to give the needed animation/transformation interaction. Problems with this method are; they might not use the interaction, they might not get the syndrome, all nearby units could get the syndrome, boiling rock can deal "damage" to buildings, and probably others that I can't think of at the moment. But it's the closest you can get to summoning without DFHack.

I actually really like the idea of this boiling rock method and it sounds like the problems could be cool roleplay elements (trying to summon dark forces sometimes doesnt work or has dire consequences). Has someone already wrote the code for this? Can you share it? I'll give them credit in my mod. I am thinking of making a lovecraftianesc mod where you summon strange creatures/deities at an altar (workshop) maybe using the butchery labor. The reagents would either be living creatures or dwarves or corpses.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 09:01:08 am »

I actually really like the idea of this boiling rock method and it sounds like the problems could be cool roleplay elements (trying to summon dark forces sometimes doesnt work or has dire consequences). Has someone already wrote the code for this? Can you share it? I'll give them credit in my mod. I am thinking of making a lovecraftianesc mod where you summon strange creatures/deities at an altar (workshop) maybe using the butchery labor. The reagents would either be living creatures or dwarves or corpses.

I know there is code out there, but I'm not sure if this method has been used in the last several versions. Meph might have some old code laying around that he could point you to (or you could go back through older mods), but I don't know of anyplace to send you off the top of my head.