Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Booze cooking and preferences  (Read 1169 times)

Thunderforge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Booze cooking and preferences
« on: May 08, 2019, 02:14:02 am »

Last week I ran out of seeds. To be fair I had a few hundred lavish meals in stock, but it got me thinking...
If I brewed all of my Plump Helmets (to keep the seeds) then use half of that brew for cooking, I’d be fine. But if a dwarf has a preference for a certain ingredient does he still get a happy thought if that ingredient has been brewed THEN cooked?

Another question is... if I mod the name of a booze in the plant raw (ie Plump Helmets brew into Bugman’s XXXXXX rather than dwarven ale) does the dwarf still receive a happy thought if the original ingredient is his preference? Or does the game handle it as a barrel of something new?
Klinka Na Karaz : Grung A Na Grungron : Az A Na Ankor
A Pick for the Earth : A Hammer for the Anvil : An Axe for everything else

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Booze cooking and preferences
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 03:31:34 am »

1: Unfortunately no.  They have to have a preference for the brewed version for them to get a happy thought from eating a meal made with the brewed food.

2: Don't know, but I guess it will work as if it was Plump Helmets (i.e. if you change the name in the raws it is consistent throughout the game)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 04:53:46 am »

1. As mikekchar said, preferences are (very) specific. Derived products of a base product do not count as the base product for need fulfillment purposes. To make that worse, DF doesn't even display preferences correctly: if the preference is for Kea Eye (which can never be produced as Keas are too small to produce them, but can nevertheless be a preference), it's displayed as Kea (and another dorf with preference for Kea Liver will likewise have that displayed as Kea).
However, ingredients included in cooked meals ARE counted, so a Lavish Meal batch of e.g. 16 meals using a stack of 2 Plump Helmets as one of its ingredients will count as 16 meals that satisfy a preference for Plump Helmets (unfortunately, all of those meals are probably going to be eaten by grumbling dorfs who can not get their needs met, because they happened to be the closest ones available when they were to chose one of the non appealing meals, rather than being saved for those who'd benefit from them).

1b. Booze cooking IS a great way to satisfy a problem dorf's FOOD need by meeting a DRINK preference, and there's a much smaller number of drinks than the number of foods. I.e. a drink need booze included into a meal satisfies food preferences.
However, booze cooking is very finicky to get going, as dorfs are very reluctant to actually include booze in meals. It can be done using fairly complicated DFHack scripts, though.

2. I think it would work, as the preference is a reference to the entry that contains the name as one of the fields, not a copy of the string itself. If you made the change before the world was generated it should definitely work, but changing raws in the save is not completely straight forward, and the effects depends on exactly what you changed. As indicated, this ought to work, while changing cats and dogs to have different names for males and females (cat/tomcat and dog/bitch, respectively) had no effect on existing animals, but did take effect on those new to the fortress (newborns, trade goods, migrants' animals).

Thunderforge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 01:06:23 am »

Thanks guys!
Hopefully I can use give/take stockpiles to help the cooking with booze.
Klinka Na Karaz : Grung A Na Grungron : Az A Na Ankor
A Pick for the Earth : A Hammer for the Anvil : An Axe for everything else

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 01:20:37 am »

I'm not sure stockpile links help much, as there's no way to stop the cook from grabbing all the ingredients from a single stockpile. The first ingredient of a cooked meal has to be a solid (and frozen booze doesn't count as a solid).
Of course, you can have three stockpiles with one slot each plus one booze stockpile. If the 3 first stockpiles don't support barrels they can have one stack of items each (but cannot take from a stockpile with barrels, due to how linked stockpiles [don't] work), and order the production of a single meal batch once the 3 solid food stockpiles have items in them, but that's bound to be very tedious.