Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CAVE civs and trading, raiding?  (Read 911 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
CAVE civs and trading, raiding?
« on: May 18, 2019, 03:41:45 am »

I'm trying to get more varieties of animal-men to show up as friends and foes without encroaching on the vanilla races. I know that SITE_TYPE:CAVE causes civs to not appear on the world map, which is perfect - if so applied, beast-person wanderers would be able to regularly appear from across the world, which they don't as often in vanilla.

However, can those civs still bring caravans if friendly, or to siege if they don't have ITEM_THIEF or BABYSNATCHER? More importantly, does their seclusion protect them from being destroyed - or destroying each other - in world gen? I've had smaller, weaker civs go extinct easily when placed near bigger, stronger ones, and it's vexing when trying to introduce variety. Without hard-coded tags or other clear means to have dwarf-friendly and dwarf-hostile civs that leave each other alone, it's tough to make something that works.

EDIT: a secondary question, how precisely can I get a civ to limit the number of sites they make? Having all the good real estate taken up by friendlies can be frustrating, and attempts to limit the total population seem to fail; increasing pop caps for cities might work, but feels like a recipe for disaster in adventure mode.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 04:24:51 am by Warlord255 »
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CAVE civs and trading, raiding?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 04:59:17 am »

Cave civs will produce just one site. You need to ensure worlds start with a large number of civs for some of them to survive. One megabeast attack is enough to kill civ with only one site.

You can make them appear on the worldmap with advanced worldgen (handy for testing worlds even if you don't want it that way in the final version).

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CAVE civs and trading, raiding?
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 06:15:13 pm »

If they are not hostile for conflict with ethics/values or token "factions" then the simple matter of them needing to make contact is harder if you can't see the site, they should ideally have a diplomat that makes introductions once you become a barony (meet requirements and control 1 site with the combined pop) in their adequate season while being close enough. Gentle single time tribute requests and not super provocative actions will also establish contact proactively.

Caves are very buggy at the minute, you can only see caves inhabited by (presumed) bandits (due to correlation with banditry in civs being more prominent) at >10 population with advanced settings and launch assaults upon megabeast (for stolen treasure and artifacts) & these bandit caves if you have cave reveals activated within your advanced world settings or set to file in your saved default settings in 'create a new world'.

So your proposed cave civ will be fighting for space with bandits all the while, but also not being attacked because it seems like they are safe havens for fleeing lawmakers to continue ruling from in buggy circumstances (or somehow a bandit inherits after a massacre and site-raze). Some simple pack animals shouldn't bother you too much by applying [ANIMAL] entity tokens because wagons are finnicky when multiple traders appear at once.