Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: designated mining, new symbol where darkened tile should be  (Read 517 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile

I designated mining on rough hewn slate wall.
The symbol looks like % except the circles are filled in, no one is mining it, even though there are some dwarves who have mining enabled. There are other mining areas where it shows the normal darkened tiles. What does the percent symbol mean, and why does it only show up in this area?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Re: designated mining, new symbol where darkened tile should be
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 02:31:42 pm »

Those percentile symbols appear to be usual for slate. As for why your dwarves aren't mining... well, there could be any number of things causing that. Do your miners have picks? Can they access the dig site? Are they doing anything else at the moment?
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 05:19:01 pm »

It's possible to toggle the digging mode into a "planning" one, which can happen by fat fingering.

If you're not using mining priorities (i.e. all mining uses priority 4), dorfs mine the "nearest" ones first.

Also note that harvesting is about the highest priority task in a fortress, of if you've got the default (everyone harvest) it can be a pain to get any digging done in remote locations, as the buggers walk for two days towards the digging site, only to turn around to harvest some plant.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 09:22:54 pm »

Thank you all for your help, I'm probably low on picks. Thank you