Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]

Author Topic: Shattered Lands  (Read 15429 times)

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shattered Lands
« Reply #255 on: January 31, 2019, 08:44:15 pm »

I thought it was something along those lines. Also we seem to be at an impasse.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 02, 2019, 03:53:44 pm »

I would still appreciate some turns.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

MonkeyMarkMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 02, 2019, 03:57:10 pm »

Send max(whatever that is) troops to LXVIII.

At this point it is just a slug fest.
My Forum game(s):
Hahaha, ya right

Any future games will be simpler in nature, I have a bad habit of biting off more than I can chew. Also hoping for more players in them.

I have Discord for my games now(not necessary to play, tho might be easier to contact me): https://discord.gg/DuaARAZ

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 02, 2019, 04:00:51 pm »

It's mostly gg at this point.  Rolling so badly ruined our chances last turn :(

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 02, 2019, 04:12:02 pm »

Yeah I'm not really feeling it after that. ES can have my points and territories and become a mighty confederation of the smaller powers.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 02, 2019, 04:20:28 pm »

I see. So RulerOfNothing and MonkeyMarkMario win. (Also The_Two_Eternities , technically...?)

I am now open for criticism and suggestions. Also, can I expect any of you back for the sequel? (if there is one)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 02, 2019, 04:25:31 pm »

I'll probably join the next one.
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 02, 2019, 04:37:16 pm »

A more deterministic combat system would be appreciated- nothing wrong with a dice roll, but out-numbering a side by a significant amount (50-100%) should guarantee victory.  Also, more open mechanics would be helpful.

Additionally, both sides should sustain damages in combat - this discourages a side from engaging in combat with a weaker side since it would represent a short-term loss in power that nearby nations could take advantage of.    Defense and attack bonuses became absurdly more powerful than income towards the end, as 100 points on attack was a 2× multiplier next turn where 100 points on two ten-point provinces wouldn't see a return on investment or five turns. Maybe some kind of increasing cost for attack/defense would help with that - Ruler buying those high-income investments screwed him pretty badly.

Lastly, some kind of bonus for players coming into the game late would balance things way more.  +10 points per turn late, etc.

Still, this was a lot of fun! Jerick and I spent a lot of time doing math and plotting, only for it to blow up in our faces lol.  Maybe next game could have a more varied map - choke points, defensive bonus territories, "impassable" mountain ranges, etc.

I'd play again next time, yeah.

Edit: maybe split troops from points? You earn points from territories and raiding, then spend them on improvements and troops.  Then you can "loan" troops as mercenaries to other players for points.

Fake Edit: also, raiding was nearly useless, btw.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 04:43:02 pm by evictedSaint »

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 02, 2019, 04:44:50 pm »

I don't entirely agree with out-numbering a side by 50-100% guaranteeing victory. I personally believe that it should instead raise your chances of success by a certain amount per 1% extra you have over your opponent. As in, 100 vs 10 would have give the 100 a 90% advantage over the 10, if that makes sense. I do definitely think that a better combat system is needed either way. Random is fun, but too much random is less fun.
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 02, 2019, 04:47:32 pm »

I disagree that out-numbering 10 to 1 means a 1 in 10 chance that you lose.  You should be able to have some way to out-number someone by enough.  Maybe the degree of out-numbering changes how many casualties you sustain despite your victory?

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 02, 2019, 05:02:53 pm »

I am of the belief that there should never be a true 100% chance of victory because it makes things more interesting. From what I gather, you are of the belief that there should be a 100% chance of victory if you have enough numbers so that someone with vastly more numbers doesn't feel cheated(Do correct me if I'm wrong). Honestly I don't mind either way, I just think that it's more interesting if tiny armies can have extremely rare epic moments where they defeat vastly more numerous forces if they get a ridiculously good roll, so I'll let a1s decide which he prefers.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 02, 2019, 05:16:00 pm »

Correct.  I dont like that even if you do everything "correct", there's a very real possibility that you could lose by completely random chance.

Idk, maybe I'm biased because that's literally what just happened this game : P

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 02, 2019, 05:28:25 pm »

I can definitely understand being upset with that, but I still think I'd be more amazed at the other side rolling so well. Then again, I'm generally more chill when playing games, especially recently, so eh.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 02, 2019, 05:37:16 pm »

I might come back but of course I have a few suggestions and criticisms;

1)First that dice roll system is terrible. In a game there needs to be some predictability. The one you where using became less predictable the larger the armies that were fighting. This together with the fact that the defense mechanics encourage attacking with giant blobs and that the only way to affect the roll in anyway is to make the numbers bigger made your chosen dice system a poor match for the rest of the game. It is the primary reason I felt unwilling to continue. The big problem with the current system is that if we win or lose is not primarily decided by the actions of the enemy but by the roll of the dice. Not matter how smart eS and me get about what we're doing it won't really matter. What will matter is what the dice roll and the larger the army the bigger the range of possible results. Two massive forces engage each other and what will the result be? Who knows, the defender could lose hundreds of men, the attacker could lose hundreds of men, they could lose a few dozen or they mightn't lose any at all. You can't plan around that kind of randomness. While random elements are fine there needs to be some consistency maybe a minimum number an army can roll that scales with the size of the army? That way if you send a vastly superior army with the best tech you know for a fact it isn't going to roll a one and lose to a thirty point neutral nation.

2)There's got to be some kind of compensation for late players. Actions are resources and joining late puts a player behind on actions and to make matters worse the earlier the action is spent the more valuable it is. So without compensation late joiners cannot catch up to early joiners without special circumstances.

3)Tech is bit cheap for how effective it is. Perhaps tech should grow more expensive the more the player has?

4)Lack of clarity on the game mechanics hurt both me and eS there at the end and Ruler earlier on when he attacked NSFW with multiple small attacks. Game mechanics need to be clear. It's never fun to be blindsided by things working very differently to how you thought they were.

5)Don't let any of this put you off GMing the way you want to.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]