Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engrave memorial slabs for visitors  (Read 1738 times)

TV4Fun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Engrave memorial slabs for visitors
« on: January 06, 2019, 11:06:15 pm »

Visitors who die and are not properly entombed can still rise as ghosts, but without being able to engrave memorial slabs, there doesn't seem to be any way to put them to rest.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Engrave memorial slabs for visitors
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 04:32:53 am »

Visiting human diplomat died in my DF. No ghost there. Thanks God. Still dumping his corpse on corpse stockpile traumatized a dwarf into depression, because the corpse did not receive... a proper burial. Something is very wrong with this game design concerning visitors and burial rituals. At least dwarves shouldn't get emotionally broken for dumping corpses in corpse stockpile, if game does not allow them to be buried in a coffin/sarcophagus.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 07:50:02 am »

Sounds like a bug, the body should have been discovered and death acknowledged, other visitors (even werebeasts) get recognition.

Maybe they're on the list but dug between some members of your fortress who have already died.

Check on the engraving screen who hasn't been entombed or memorialised already to make sure you didn't miss anybody if the name doesn't jump out at you, i like to assign top quality engravers via workshop profile skill minimum controls just to mine additional data out of foes/friends who've died in my fort with a descriptive slab.
  • you can expand the screen to see a fulll name by using TAB to reposition the GUI and map, keep cycling tab when you're finished to put it back the way you like/need it

To add more substantial detail, maybe you could request for a suggestion that visitor/fortress/enemy relations are made more clear or even color coded to some degree in the workshop screen for slabs with a descriptive UI legend to follow so they are easier to pick out, rather than just names & a finished product.

The way the slabs screen gets cluttered too is annoying, though making repeat slabs for decoration isn't a high priority but still useful thing.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 07:52:41 am by FantasticDorf »

TV4Fun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 11:27:52 am »

I did very thoroughly check the engrave screen, and this person was not on the list. They were a werebeast, and apparently still a werebeast as a ghost, so that may have something to do with it.

arkhnchul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 03:51:47 pm »

Visiting human diplomat died in my DF. No ghost there.
only units belonging to your civilization can rise as ghosts
Still dumping his corpse on corpse stockpile traumatized a dwarf into depression, because the corpse did not receive... a proper burial. Something is very wrong with this game design concerning visitors and burial rituals.
corpse of sentient friendly creature handled without any respect just as a mere garbage - corpse stockpile is a waste dump, no more. There is nothing wrong with bad thoughts about that, both in dwarfs civ ethics or IRL.

as i know, visitors can be buried if you have enough free coffins placed and allowed for burial.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 05:24:07 pm »

I have 50 master quality steel sarcophagus. All allowing for burial, allowing for citizens, forbidding pets. Still none was used to bury human diplomat.

arkhnchul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 05:44:29 pm »

Still none was used to bury human diplomat.
yeah, my bad. Visiting dwarves can be buried. No place for poor humans(

TV4Fun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 07:10:44 pm »

You probably need to make human-sized coffins :P.