Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Profiling for FPS hogs  (Read 859 times)

TV4Fun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Profiling for FPS hogs
« on: January 01, 2019, 04:28:49 pm »

I know this has been asked before, but creating a new thread to avoid thread necromancy. It would be really nice to have a profile of CPU usage to identify the sources of FPS death. I just opened up access to a cavern and FPS dropped considerably. It is actually possible in Windows to attach to an existing executable and profile the CPU usage. So my quick profile of Dwarf Fortress 0.44.12 64 bit with DFHack on Windows 10 shows that 87.56% of its time is spent in Dwarf Fortress.exe!0x007ff65d3f68ef. Now if anyone can tell me what that means, that would be great.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Profiling for FPS hogs
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 07:23:23 pm »

Might want to ask in the DFHack thread or in FotF if you want to know. My bet is on it being pathfinding.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 04:11:29 am »

Hi TV4Fun!

Opening caverns is major FPS hog, because of 2 main reasons.

- It spawns & respawns vegetation growth underground inside your fortress. You need to have all farming plots set in, grates covering your 1x1 sand/clay spots and all other underground soil paved with floor. Else, you are facing the same current issue like with jungle's thick forest in mountains or tundra region with so called "sparse vegetation".

- It spawns & respawns additional ethereally regenerating vermin population inside of your fortress. You need to smooth all rock walls, dig all sandy walls and put in constructed walls. Additionally on top of constructed floors over sand, you need to religiously smooth all rock floor underground. In mined from ore corridors too.

This last, you should take very seriously. I think this is so, because you get to deal with total population of all vermin in all 3 underground caverns, which were spawning non-stop there, before you opened one of them. A vermin invasion. :D

However, if you take those 2 precautions under consideration, then after a while of your cats going into overdrive, your fps should go up considerably. Not to the fps speed, which you had before opening those caverns, but it shouldn't be a huge fps hit any more.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 05:41:27 am »

I'm not sure those things are as big a deal as Sarmatian123 says. Vegetation isn't checked every tick, and the issue causing the growth to recalculate the entire map constantly was fixed in 44.11. Vermin are just an abstract number while they're not visible. As long as you don't have a bunch of geese digging them out of the ground, there shouldn't be any effect.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?