Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flags/banners/standards  (Read 1124 times)

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Flags/banners/standards
« on: December 14, 2018, 12:45:17 pm »

Can't remember if I wrote on this before, but I'm looking for some ideas on how to make flagpoles/banners/standards in fort mode. Can be as small or large as you want it, within reason (so, it has to be applicable and not its own mega-project).
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: Flags/banners/standards
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 12:47:43 pm »

I've seen decorated ropes being suggested for this. (The other suggestion is to mod it in yourself.)
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 01:10:15 pm »

Not a big fan of using mods/textures ;) how would one place those ropes? restraints? on top of a pole?
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 02:50:04 pm »

yes, just restraints, and decorate the ropes with images of the civ, then everyone who walks past it gets nice feels from seeing the nicely decorated restraints.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 06:10:48 pm »

hm... well, I suppose that works for standards. Sorta. Any ideas on Flags or banners? I imagine flags would be on quite high poles, while banners are "on the side of" walls, as far as DF permits that sort of thing ;)

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 04:57:38 am »

When you smooth a wall that has no connections, it becomes a pillar. Attach a rope to that for a flag pole.

You could also try and a construct a support, not sure if you can attach a restraint on those, else a freestanding wall created from a block instead of boulder will do.

Another option could be to partly construct a windmill. Only attach a windblade on one side to the axle.

pamelrabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 06:32:06 pm »

You can comission sewn images on suff. In leather and cloth. ¿Maybe you can make wooden spears and have your crest sewn on them, and plant them on the floor afterwards?

I've been bugged by the lack of banners, tapestries and carpets, too. If I have to mod the game ever, it'll be to have them.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 06:47:26 pm »

I really like these last ones. Vertical axles for larger flags, and upright wooden training spears with cloth decoration as standards. you could even give one of those to one member of each squad, and designate him bannerman ;)

TubaDragoness

• Bay Watcher
  • o3o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 06:39:41 pm »

Sew your group images on a cloak and put it in a display case, perhaps?

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 06:12:53 am »

This thread sounds like a bunch of aliens trying to explain what flags are.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 06:24:18 am »

well, i suppose thats exacly how a dwarf would see it, since they apparently dont know what a flag is ;)

TubaDragoness

• Bay Watcher
  • o3o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2018, 06:37:26 pm »

And yet the words "flag", "banner", and "standard" all exist in their dictionary. Dwarves are strange creatures.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2018, 04:12:39 pm »

Dwarves have unfurled banners before. Symmetry (Lacero) and I convinced 'em to make a few:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-4297-15bannersonhigh

Basically, with colored blocks and scaffolding, you can make flags of any shape you like.
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2018, 04:29:28 pm »

most of the links in there dont seem to lead anywhere, is it possible you still have a 3d visualisation somewhere? :)