Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animated Tutorial On The Basics Of Stairs, Levels And Channeling  (Read 1317 times)

r4NGe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Animated Tutorial On The Basics Of Stairs, Levels And Channeling
« on: November 29, 2018, 10:32:00 am »

I decided to try my hand at animation and the first thing I thought of was Dwarf Fortress. It's insane how long it took me to figure out how to make this. I'm sure the next ones will go faster, but until then, I would appreciate your upvotes and subs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3f5q8ASElY

I have a few future tutorials in mind but I would also love to animate some of the emergent stories that dwarf fortress writes. If you have any ideas or can point to some good stories you've read, just let me know.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Animated Tutorial On The Basics Of Stairs, Levels And Channeling
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 04:02:18 pm »

Loved the Kea trying to steal the axe! Honestly this is fantastic content. ABCs of Dwarf Fortress

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 07:32:50 pm »

Just had a look at this, and I congratulate you on your art.

Comments made to the video already cover the slight error and the need to cover at least some of the rest of the pantheon of Designations, but I admire your explanations as far as they go, and love the graphics.

My semi-mnemonics (though they're mostly muscle-memory, these days) for each designation are:
  • dig - as in a drift-mine,
  • channel - by hoiking (lifting, raising) material out of a hole
  • up-stair - self-obvious
  • (j) down-stairs - like 'u' but on the keyboard line below (YKMV), but also shaped like hooking down, and of course it's the Vi cursor-down, via roguelikes that used this for down(screen) movement,
  • (i) up/down-stairs - touches both 'u' and 'j' on my normal-ish style of keyboard and similar (though might have been better as a u>j>(n|m>) relationship for up>up/down>down, for this). Also is like 'j' but going further down and through.
  • ramp - obvious (also hooks up, demonstrating it needs an exit to the side of up)
  • (z) removing ramp/stairs - zig-zag 'crossing out' of a feature (maybe indicated as the diagonal representing level-transitioning, but does not imply top/bottom capping, unfortunately, which still has to be done with floors or other non-down constructions put there too/instead, which maybe you want to consider illustrating if you get onto such build construction demonstrations)
  • chop down trees - doesn't need much more of a mnemonic, but can be seen as doing something sideways to the bottom of a branched shape, maybe?
  • gather plants - if you feel you want to say it's pick-your-own it wouldn't be wrong, right?
  • smoothing and then engraving stone, and carving Fortifications or Tracks seem good enough (the capitalisation differences need remembering, though)
  • I never have toggled engravings, but it's a form of view, I suppose,
  • toggling Marking/Standard is a new thing that I never had difficulty remembering (just have to not accidentally toggle, by slip of the finger? That happens a lot!)
  • remove construction - make it be not there any more!
  • (x) remove designation - nix it, or cross it off the list if things to do,
  • building/item property setting - meh...
  • (o) traffic areas? - I so rarely use this, and it's well out of the scope of the original mining-list anyway!

r4NGe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 04:50:28 pm »

Thank you! That's a useful list that I will find useful in upcoming videos. I've decided the next one will cover BRIDGES. The goal is to keep it simple!

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 07:29:18 am »

(o) traffic areas: its a round o, like thos stop-signs on the side of the road ;)
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 12:19:20 pm »

Round?

(OTOH, it is like many other road signs. Those that aren't square, rectangular, diamond, triangular, etc. Including speed limits signs (except US?) and other prohibitory/allowance signs you could imagine dictating traffic-flows, so I'll give you that.)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 12:21:25 pm by Starver »

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 12:54:47 pm »

hehe, yeah, not like that. In retro-spect, i wasn't thinking of a stop sign but actually a "no traffic" sign, or whatever the correct english name is for that. in my country, its round, white and has a red edge, just like an  o  .
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 12:20:07 am »

The "No nuthin' Vehicles" sign, seen here (expand "Signs Giving Orders"). I get that. A good set there. I particularly like the "No vehicles carrying explosives", but have yet to see that IRL, let alone be forced to comply with it. ;)

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 10:12:47 am »

hehe yeah! you had me confused with the no overtaking sign though. the red car was suddently on the other side ;)