Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: copper for weapons?  (Read 5527 times)

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
Re: copper for weapons?
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2018, 08:59:43 pm »

Totally go ahead. It'll train your weaponsmith, and copper can actually give pretty decent coverage in way of protecting against threats. Blunt weapons will cover most of your armored foes that will resist even iron and bronze, and the slashing weapons work pretty much just as well as steel against unarmored opponents like monsters.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2018, 09:31:08 am »

Yes, DF wiki says now, silver (10490) is better then copper (8930), but copper is still far more abundant during first years.

Editing txt files can enable platinum (21400) and gold (19320) to be used in weapon making. When embarking, I always check if I can buy 1 bar of platinum. It can be extremely handy later on. :)

OmahaMH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2018, 11:25:42 am »

Named wooden shields will also catch fire and burn eternally. Watch your dragons!

Uh, I fail to see the problem because now I have a FIRE SHIELD.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2018, 12:25:09 pm »

Make it a tower shield and now you can have a fire wall.

forgotten_idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2018, 01:24:10 pm »

Copper is fine, as long as you have enough cannon fodder you'll survive the first siege, and then you will have all the iron you need for the next one. And so on.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2018, 02:01:52 pm »

I worship copper weapons.  As CraftRiddle is my wooden fortress that I settled on an island all metals and stone has to be imported because of the aquifer.  And my total lack of skill with such a barrier.  My squads have bone and leather armor and copper weapons.  And we have yet to have built our first drawbridges which are useful for so many things.  So the wooden walls and the squads who dress like Native American warriors are our only line of defense.  Iron?  Steel?  Blah!  Copper weapons are nice and cheap.  Our warriors and dogs took down one werebeast.  Victory was a surprise to be honest but we won.  And now that crossbows are not the machine guns they use to be I rely heavily on my copper weapons for future conflicts.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2018, 08:57:30 pm »

Nice military fort on surface! Plenty to keep animals on. I guess you keep roof to keep the trees from growing over? However keep in mind dodging-bug and make those walls double there you can. Easier and safer later to change wooden walls for rock block walls with those 2 layers, which will never leave your inside exposed to environment. Also somewhat easier to build multiple stories buildings on surface with 2 layers thick walls. Just put construction stairs outside ;)

Breaching aquifer needs few dedicated dwarves. I like to have 3 pumps on one hole, just in case one engineer gets tired or hungry so... no accidents. lol Anyhow, happy experimenting.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2018, 09:03:27 pm »

I spotted internal stairways on that plan, already. You never need external stairway access when building up, and I'd personally avoid them. Wall-top walking from inside is sufficient and could accidentally link up with your 'fire-escape' or scaffolding stairways, rendering a path for nasties. Just plan ahead a little, maybe.

OmahaMH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2018, 11:24:43 pm »

Copper is legit.

I have three squads decked out in copper armor and they started with copper weapons.  A few years, three sieges, three missions, two forgotten beasts and two semimegabeasts later, only two have died in combat, and 1 was during his rookie days.  They've upgraded to iron weapons but their armor remains copper for now by necessity.

Mind you, this is not fighting the legions of the damned, but it shows survivability.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2018, 04:11:49 pm »

Well, copper is lighter than bronze, but can be perfored by any weapon grade material. With that said, a copper weapon is infinitely superior to a wooden weapon, especially against early threats.

I can not let this statement stand, bronze is less dense than copper, because you take copper, and mix it with tin which is less dense than copper, making the total end product less dense than copper, but more dense than tin. And I'll need to double check the in-game raws, and hurry up on my metals mod if I do indeed find bronze is more dense than copper in game.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2018, 05:15:36 pm »

Copper is indeed denser, and copper armour is heavier than any other, you don't have to mod it.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2018, 04:33:23 pm »

Copper works if you don't have anything else, but dwarves hate success, so they will frequently latch onto the worst possible weapons and armor, steadfastly refusing superior equipment just to mess with you.
Pages: 1 [2]