Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gremlin fort?  (Read 2028 times)

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gremlin fort?
« on: November 05, 2018, 03:32:00 pm »

So, reading the wiki it says that captured, stray gremlins will rent a room in your tavern, eventually applying for citizenship. so i was wondering... gremlin fort anyone? or, i guess, if you really want, gremlin monarch? gremlin fort with a gremlin monarch? gremlin fort in a dying dwarves civ with a gremlin monarch and no dwarves, therefor gremlin civ?

hehe...

You know what, i'll just make this a challenge. consider yourself challenged to do any or all of the above ;)
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gremlin fort?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 05:56:47 pm »

Probably not going to happen until the next release, when there's a chance to get them married to each other (as the eligible age span will be increased to + 50% of the younger one's age, rather than being fixed to 10 years).

Also, there are some significant bugs regarding Gremlins:
- The only way to make Gremlin sized clothes is to have a Gremlin make them. They're half the size of Kobolds, which are the next smallest. However, my last Gremlin died of stress before applying for citizenship, probably due to a large extent because of being butt naked (since then I've changed the Gremlin raws to make the Kobold sized, but haven't gotten a new one).
- DF does not allow you to assign labors for Gremlins, nor view their thoughts. DT can handle the former, but it's rather annoying to being told that your Gremlin baron has made a demand, but not being able to see what it is (that has happened to me, some time ago).
- Probably a bunch of others I can't remember off the top of my head: the whole animal people from the wild functionality (which applies only to Gremlins in vanilla) is a bug fest that's probably not going to be addressed until animal people get proper tribes.

I've tried in the past to collect Gremlins to get three breeding pairs (I think only two are required, actually) for a self sustained fortress, but haven't managed to collect more than 3 (none forming a pair, of course) in any fortress.

Also note that due to their size, they can't wield any weapons except knifes, and you'd have to liberate those from Kobolds, and it's a challenge in itself to get a reasonable number of knives from them.

Otherwise, it's correct that Gremlins eventually apply for citizenship. Before that happen they typically change status from Stray Gremlin to Stray Gremlin Hunter.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 09:52:25 pm »

Given gremlins' max age of 800-1000 being greater than the age of any well-known fortress, even one breeding pair might be enough.

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 11:16:50 pm »

Good luck friend. I've been trying for over three years now to capture a breeding pair of Gremlins and produce a citizen born into my fort with zero success. Capturing multiple Gremlins alive is a very difficult task and the odds of them meeting the requirements to become a breeding pair are one of the few things in dwarf fortress smaller than an actual Gremlin. I do have a male and a female but they won't breed so they've been training in the military with my best fighters. Once their attributes are maxed out I'm going to turn them into vampire necromancers and seal them up to train until they can make masterwork candy armor for themselves. I've always wanted to see what a maxed out supernatural super solider the size of a jack russell terrier is capable of.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 03:48:00 am »

My goal with multi racial fortresses is to have sustainable local populations, which means at least two pairs to provide mates for the offspring.

Also remembered another of the Gremlin bugs: They need to be retrained regularly after becoming citizens, and that jobs seems to have a lower priority than any kind of hauling (and you can't disable hauling in vanilla, as you can't control jobs). I work around that by DFHacking them to Tame once they become citizens.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 04:33:28 am »

My goal with multi racial fortresses is to have sustainable local populations, which means at least two pairs to provide mates for the offspring.

Also remembered another of the Gremlin bugs: They need to be retrained regularly after becoming citizens, and that jobs seems to have a lower priority than any kind of hauling (and you can't disable hauling in vanilla, as you can't control jobs). I work around that by DFHacking them to Tame once they become citizens.

It would have been nice if the pet tags removed themselves after entering prequisites of citizenship, im not sure whether on the fly a creature's RAWS could be edited (or a histfig string imposed onto a new creature) to remove the pet tags but besides you'd think this would be something the game could resolve for itself.

Toady just hasn't turned their attention to it because its very rare it seems.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 09:55:25 am »

well, PatrikLundell, I agree that most of your points are very valid. however, i wonder if some of these only ably to captured gremlins, not those born in your civ. that should at least make them "domestic" eg they dont need to be trained anymore.

and yeah, its gonna be a whole lot easier when the next update comes around, but seeing how rediculously hard this Challenge  is right now, thats probably OK.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 03:06:31 pm »

I'm usually trying to incorporate Gremlins into my fortress (although it's taken a lower priority in the two latest ones), but the buggers are rare. I expect Gremlin children to behave like all trainable offspring with a child state: they'd be fully tame after one training session (or immediately, if you've hacked the parents to be fully tame, which is really only a very minor difference). We'll see, however, when/if someone actually manages to get the buggers to procreate...