Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Am I shamed  (Read 3242 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Am I shamed
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2018, 07:30:11 am »

I have a cistern in my latest fortress that is getting filled by hand.  I can't be buggered with pumpstacks going the length of my map, but i'm also not cheating to put it in. There is always a third way, you little cheating gibbon.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2018, 09:14:33 am »

I have a cistern in my latest fortress that is getting filled by hand.  I can't be buggered with pumpstacks going the length of my map, but i'm also not cheating to put it in. There is always a third way, you little cheating gibbon.
i always try to build a safe fort with a cistern and somehow get to the water of the cave layers - with varying success.
most times, the cistern is spoiled by some unforeseen accident while digging the huge room. mostly caveins or dorfs jumping to their death. i never cheated water in though - half of the FUN ist just accepting all the things that went wrong and creating a new world :P
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

thefriendlyhacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2018, 02:57:08 am »

I once built a magma pumpstack to get magma to the upper levels to keep my fortress smaller. It wasn't worth it.
I once did the same because my candy spire magma flow removal and obsidianization efforts were draining the natural magma reservoir my forges were built over, and I didn't want to move them even further away from my main fortress.

It was a learning experience, and such a major pain in the ass that it was only (barely) worth doing once.  Now I play a mod that lets you melt loose stones into magma, and I have never looked back.
Fallout Equestria Redux - that's right, it's back

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2018, 08:09:49 am »

I imagine the pain was moving everything in forge area a z-layer higher rather than channeling a hole, building four walls and placing dwarf-operated pump?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2018, 02:14:10 pm »

I always seal off my magma forge flow area after it's filled to prevent things from pathing in. I'm always irrationally worried something will sneak up even if I place the workshops properly.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 [2]