Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Desert Titan Silk Akku Strings  (Read 1547 times)

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Desert Titan Silk Akku Strings
« on: August 17, 2018, 05:19:44 pm »

I found this instrument in Adventure, but I am posting here to ask how it's made. The description reads, "This is a desert titan silk akku strings. It is made from desert titan silk cloth. The akku strings vibrate, causing the instrument to produce sound." So perhaps it isn't an instrument but the strings that need to be crafted to a body. I didn't know titans could be rendered for materials.

pamelrabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Desert Titan Silk Akku Strings
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 05:41:55 pm »

It maybe is made from silk, if the titan is a web caster.
My dwarves sometimes craft clothing or instruments from Forgotten Beast silk, from their (deadly) webs.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 05:56:57 pm »

Yeah that's almost certainly some silk strings. You can collect FB/Titan silk if you can get at the undisturbed webbing left behind.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 10:06:26 pm »

Unfortunately, randomly generated creature silk has no value multiplier, so it won't be worth as much.

Timmi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 10:18:58 pm »

first the auto-generated fortress uses a artifact door to lure the web titan. then they raise the bridge to lock it. then they build a silk farm at its place. then they harvest it. then they make akku strings from it.

Bob69Joe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 10:53:05 pm »

first the auto-generated fortress uses a artifact door to lure the web titan. then they raise the bridge to lock it. then they build a silk farm at its place. then they harvest it. then they make akku strings from it.

Wow, they do that all on their own? Now how do I string it to some finely crafted instrument? Well, not in Adventure, but I could leave it in area where I'll put a fortress.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 03:58:18 am »

Wow, they do that all on their own? Now how do I string it to some finely crafted instrument? Well, not in Adventure, but I could leave it in area where I'll put a fortress.
No, it's just that DF randomly takes whatever silk there can be and produces strings, but it was a nice explanation. You can't make an instrument out of it, because it's most likely an elven one (they tend to have weird material silk and cloth strings for sale in their caravans), and your civ can only make instruments of its own, but not assemble any other instruments, even if all parts are provided (which means caravans bringing instrument parts being rather pointless).
As indicated, that string isn't that unique anyway: caravans can bring complete instruments that use such parts.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 04:13:29 am »

The AI isn't that smart. It's pretty dumb.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Vorox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 04:46:06 am »

This instrument is cursed, if you play it it will unleash an unspeakable evil.
Vorox likes gremlins for their tears.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2018, 04:51:13 am »

Sometimes the forgotten beast/titan instruments can be much valuable, but not because of the silk itself. I have several such instruments in my fortress (brought by elven visitors or caravans). One instrument named saba is worth 110, and another saba is worth 3100. Both are from forgotten beast silk, but the more expensive has bellows made from shimmering cloth, while the cheaper one has them made from the same forgotten beast silk as other parts.

There are also scrolls and books brought by visitors and caravans, which are made of forgotten beast or titan parchment.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 06:35:44 am »

Damn the value multiplier, this is badass as hell. If you manage to create an instrument from Titan's silk and leather, ornate with gems and forgotten beast hors then cover it in dragon scales, it warrant the creation of an adventurer just to play its tune to the world

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2018, 10:57:11 am »

I like capturing web-based FB's and Titans. I did a bunch of fiddling with it with a lot of help from other dorfs, but here's how I eventually did it.

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0