Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How does everyone keep their fps so high?  (Read 2695 times)

despot_cheeto

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How does everyone keep their fps so high?
« on: August 25, 2018, 12:06:08 pm »

I hear about people keeping an fps of 100 for several years with hundreds of dwarves but recently my saves have been dropping to ~10 fps after a year or two. My stocks show 2000 bars, 800 logs, 600 body parts, 900 mechanisms, 700 prepared meals, 1000 stones, and 200 trap components. There is a small brook on the map and the embark size is 3x3. I have 47 citizens on-site, 52 tamed animals, and 22 others. All three cavern layers and the magma sea are open. Processor priority is realtime, I have a more recently made i5 and 8gigs of ram Task manager shows DF using up ~35% of the CPU and 1.3 gigs of RAM, and I still have plenty of both left over. I've tried tweak fast-heat 100, cleanowned and clean-all in dfhack with little change. I also have graphical fps set to 13 and calculation fps to 100. Any idea what's going on?

EDIT: The fps went back to almost normal after a squad I sent off came back, this is kind of a problem though since I wanted to loot a ton of sites this fort.

Edit 2: Haven't sent any more squads off but just made a new one, and a few minutes later FPS plummeted again.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 01:14:49 pm by despot_cheeto »

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
Re: How does everyone keep their fps so high?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 02:23:56 pm »

What's your embark size?
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 02:42:44 pm »

From what you've told us, you should be easily having several hundred fps, so there's probably another problem you're not mentioning.

If it is linked to a squad, note that if someone you're sending out is stuck in a tree or the like they're going to spam pathing requests every step (which is going to hurt your fps). This can also happen with pet-locked doors and pets trying to relentlessly path out (can cause similar fps drops as what you have). Building a lot of repeaters to close/open buildings, especially bridges, will murder fps as well.

You might also try building walls in specific to seal off caverns, and note that at least mass digging, especially mass surface channeling, used to be able to also hurt fps.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 02:45:29 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 04:13:54 pm »

Pasture your livestock and get rid of any animal that doesn't have practical use. Set up a 2x1 bridge to act as a trash compactor and get rid of all old clothes, vermin remains and assorted trash. Enable performance tweaks in LNP if you're using it. Also don't produce stuff you can't use or sell, set up your work orders to always have a 20-30 surplus for every product that gets used a lot, instead of producing a boatload of useless crap.
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

pamelrabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 03:43:48 am »

I have resorted to vegan forts where every animal is instantly turned to hides and soap. Last time I kept animals I had an AlpacaSplosion and butchering all of them was a bloody gorefest with miasma and bones and rotting entrails all over the place.

Also: try not to hit the caverns. Pathing seems to be the worst issue for my forts, and a stream.of critters and dwarves collecting stuff or going fishing hit my fps bad.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 05:24:23 am »

Advanced worldgen to reduce the cavern layer number is also a big FPS saver.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 06:19:49 am »

I've resorted to tropical islands cut off from the outside world.
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 11:41:45 am »

despot_cheeto…  Use task manager or windows services to kill any unnecessary processes running in the background.  The operating systems are juggling tasks in the background and the fewer tasks being juggled the better it can focus on those which remain.  For example, if you are only playing dwarf fortress and not using the internet or downloading files than you don't need your anti-virus software performing realtime scans of your files.  If you've already optimized your system for gaming then this advice probably won't help, but if you've never tweaked your system for gaming then you might have some 3rd party application which is the root cause.

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 12:30:17 pm »

I sent a group of dwarves out - first time ever - and my FPS dropped from 50ish to like 10... not sure why.

Here's a tip - 2 of my soldiers didn't get under way with the rest of the squad... After the squad left a raid appeared and I shut the main gates closing the fortress off...

These 2 soldiers were caught in some kind of loop which reduced FPS to 10. I removed them from squad and boom, all fixed.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 03:22:17 pm by thefinn »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 03:02:40 pm »

Sounds like failed pathfinding spam, which has generated similar bug reports in the past and should probably be reported on Mantis if it hasn't been yet.  I know there was a related case of people being unable to path to things during moods that Toady fixed.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

thefinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 03:22:39 pm »

Sounds like failed pathfinding spam, which has generated similar bug reports in the past and should probably be reported on Mantis if it hasn't been yet.  I know there was a related case of people being unable to path to things during moods that Toady fixed.

Will do, thanks.