Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Civilization restoration  (Read 1383 times)

Klekavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Civilization restoration
« on: August 20, 2018, 06:40:25 pm »

In your opinions, what is the best way to restore the population of a dwarven civ?

Make a fort, retire it once it's set up, make another, etc? Or just go with one fort and raise its pop as much as possible? Something in between?

I ask because I'm playing a world with only one dwarf civ that was on the verge of extinction. The last group were refugees in elven lands before I started. My plan was to start forts, build them up to around 200 pop, then retire them and start another, but I just retired my second fort and now checking the legends I see that the second fort siphoned off a lot of the population from the first. Is this... inevitable?

Anybody else try pulling a dwarven civ back from the abyss? How'd it go?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 07:19:34 pm by Klekavian »

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization restoration
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 07:19:39 pm »

I see that the second fort siphoned off a lot of the population from the first. Is this... inevitable?

Assuming your civilization isn't extinct, the game will create 'void dwarves' when necessary, but it prefers to select existing dwarves for immigration. This tends to lead to the same dwarves immigrating to subsequent fortresses.

Instead, you can use the new mission interface to send your surplus dwarves out to conquer sites and inhabit your fortress's holdings. Dwarves so dispatched shouldn't immigrate back, meaning the game will keep spawning void dwarves for immigration. This should allow you to reach whatever total population you desire.

Klekavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 08:02:08 pm »

Instead, you can use the new mission interface to send your surplus dwarves out to conquer sites and inhabit your fortress's holdings. Dwarves so dispatched shouldn't immigrate back, meaning the game will keep spawning void dwarves for immigration. This should allow you to reach whatever total population you desire.

So with this strategy I guess I should just focus on a single fort and remotely conquer and inhabit the areas around it?

Do you know if there's a point at which the game will stop taking from old forts? Like once its population reaches a certain lower limit?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 01:55:20 am »

There is a lower limit of 1 when taking from old fortresses: the expedition leader stays. This limit is too low to be useful for populating the world, though.

I don't know if anyone knows if dwarves sent to the hillocks migrate to new fortresses. If they do, that could be problematic as hillocks are currently used as sanatoria for unstable dwarves, who aren't exactly the ones you'd want as migrants...
On the other hand, if you routinely send dwarves to hillocks that should be less of an issue. Regardless, a single fortress is probably the best for building up the population, as multiple fortresses just serve as pop circulators.

Klekavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 10:47:25 pm »

Well, thanks for the helpful information!

To be honest I'm a bit disappointed. I was hoping to get some adventuring done in the world in between forts. Goblins are actually not much better off than dwarves in this world - it's mostly humans and elves. I was planning on getting some goblin adventurers to go on murderous rampages in the towns and forests.

Maybe I will still make a new fort every now and then anyways. I'll report back if I get any results worth sharing.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 07:17:12 pm »

If you adventure in the world and meet other dwarfs in your civ, they become historical figures.  Those figures can migrate to your fortress.  Unfortunately it doesn't appear that the game takes geography into account when choosing who will migrate to your fortress, so you can still end up with mostly the same old bunch moving around (especially if they are related).  However, it kind of works and is quite fun (IMHO).  It's funny when migrants show up that have a relationship with your adventurer.  I even had one that had a grudge against my adventurer (I think I was trading silk with him all the time -- I don't know why he hated me :-) ).

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 01:41:44 am »

If you adventure in the world and meet other dwarfs in your civ, they become historical figures.  Those figures can migrate to your fortress.  Unfortunately it doesn't appear that the game takes geography into account when choosing who will migrate to your fortress, so you can still end up with mostly the same old bunch moving around (especially if they are related).  However, it kind of works and is quite fun (IMHO).  It's funny when migrants show up that have a relationship with your adventurer.  I even had one that had a grudge against my adventurer (I think I was trading silk with him all the time -- I don't know why he hated me :-) ).

Maybe he had a preference for wool.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 05:33:57 am »

You can always gen starting 7 after starting 7. 
Founding a fort and immediately retiring.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.