Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How long do you think it will take to release myth and magic?  (Read 638 times)

Oxidus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How long do you think it will take to release myth and magic?
« on: August 12, 2018, 10:51:06 am »

Basically the title. I know that this stuff takes a long time, but I would like to hear your thoughts about this. Maybe two years(IMO)?
Winter is coming and the dead come with it.

Tinnucorch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How long do you think it will take to release myth and magic?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 11:23:03 am »

Shouldn't be this in the DF General discussion board?

Anyway, based on time between other releases, 2 years seems reasonable, but I'm not sure if I'm comfortable expecting that and would also like to know what other people more familiar with DF developement think about it.

Edit: The longest wait until now was the one previous to the world activation release (40.xx) and it was of almost exactly two years. Comparatively, Myth and magic seems like more work to me (I'm being totally subjective here) so, maybe that pushes the wait closer to a three years lapse?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 11:44:18 am by Tinnucorch »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How long do you think it will take to release myth and magic?
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 12:13:12 pm »

It's called the Long Wait for a reason. If it only takes two years from the last release of this arc to the first M&M release I would be rather surprised. 3 years is more likely, in my view, while I would think Toady would cut (i.e. delay) features (more than usual) to definitely keep it below 4. My guess would be 3-3½ years.

Not only is there a huge mound of features in the arc (which doesn't mean all of it will be in the first release), but it will also be the first release in a very long time that will not be backwards compatible, so quite a number of underlying systems will be overhauled at this time, in order to allow for another long stretch of backwards compatible releases after that.