Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Containers and work-orders.  (Read 750 times)

Miles_Umbrae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Containers and work-orders.
« on: June 23, 2018, 06:35:07 pm »

Instead of dorfs running from stockpile to workshop and back again with a single item, for example one gem or one seed, why not have them bring the entire bag/bin/pot/barrel to the workshop  and keep completing work-orders until the container runs out of items applicable to that workshops work-orders, for example bringing an entire leather-bin to the workshop and staying there making leather-bags until either the bin is empty or all orders for leather-bags are done, or a farmer bringing an entire pig-tail seed bag and keeps planting tile after tile until he/she runs out of seeds or farm-tiles.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: Containers and work-orders.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 07:25:32 pm »

Don’t farmers already do this and that’s why we get the godawful farming cancellation spam as the farmers keep arriving at stockpiles to find that another dwarf ran off with the bag containing the seeds they wanted to use?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Miles_Umbrae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 08:12:48 pm »

Not AFAIK.
The problem that exists now is that they grab the bag, go and plant one single seed, and the return the bag.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 12:27:51 pm »

What if another dwarf needs items from the container?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Miles_Umbrae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 02:28:31 pm »

That's the only issue Bumber.
But which is more realistic; that a jeweller goes to the stockpile and picks up a single rough smoky quartz, a farmer only brings a single flax seed? Or that they pick up a whole bag/bin of the material to turn out multiple jobs while at the workshop?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 05:33:25 pm »

Bags and bins seem to have changed in behavior over time. From testing in 43.05, they will not be carried once their item name receives the <##> postfix for the stockpile number, unless they are not on their stockpile. They are placed on the stockpile and stay there.

The conflicts causing the job cancellations seem to occur only when two dwarf jobs are at specific stages at the same time, one dwarf with a "store item in bin" job, who has accumulated all of the items on the job list, will begin his walk to the container, which TSK's the container, which then causes the second dwarf, who's "take item from container for whatever" job is at a pre or post movement stage (he is ready to begin his walk, or has just ended his walk, to the container), he finds the container is currently TSK'd and the job cancellation occurs. There could be some variation of when the jobs check if the target bin is TSK'd, but it is basically those two jobs in conflict at specific stages of those jobs.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Miles_Umbrae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 04:54:53 pm »

Ah, okay.
Thanks for updating me about that anewname .. (I'm still trying to catch up after about a year of not playing)